PDA

View Full Version : Bristleworms & Cryptic Zones?

tonyespinoza
06/15/2008, 10:15 PM
According the to the Tyree EG concept, he defines a low-flow, no light cryptic zone and a decent-flow, very little light filter feeder zone (in addition to the typical display with high light).

So I'm planning to put live rock in all three zones... but it has occurred to me that some hitchhiker could somehow dominate the dark cryptic zone or go after the feather dusters in the filter feeder zone -- in general compete where these zones are supposed to be refugiums for cryptic critters.

i'll be sending water from the sump, so it will have been through a filter sock before making it to these zones... but of course there will be plenty of DOM and other nutrients in the form of fish waste and coral food (phyto, roto, oyster eggs).

does anyone think common hitchikers such as bristle worms and vermetid snails could somehow dominate or negate the whole point of these cryptic zones? would i be better off using eggcrate (like bricky) or perhaps cooked marco rock?

thanks for any insights! particularly interested in hearing from any who's actually run a cryptic zone.

sly fox
08/25/2008, 11:01 AM
bump...

Sk8r
08/25/2008, 11:11 AM
They're all a part of the picture. I wouldn't run a filter sock when trying to run a cryptic zone or fuge; and don't, since I have a fuge. Any crawling thing is welcome down there. Mysis, copepods, worms, bristle and spaghetti; snails; hermits; feather dusters (I have a raft of those; vermetids, probably; spiorbids. Tons of micro brittle stars, or infant big ones, not sure on some of them. Probably an asterina or two. Whatever wanders in and gets there.

greenbean36191
08/25/2008, 02:00 PM
negate the whole point of these cryptic zones?
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what exactly that is. Tyree himself doesn't seem to have a very clear idea.