PDA

View Full Version : Imbalance of Nitrates and Phosphates w/ Vodka

CyanoMagnet
06/16/2008, 09:44 PM
Sup guys. I have been doing some serious research to dig up procedures on applying vodka to my tank to reduce nitrates. I think I have a good idea on where to start and where to go.

So here is what I need help with.

My phosphates are undetectable. My nitrates are very detectable, 20+ ppm, so there is a imbalance there. Now I have read several different posts from knowledgable posters.

Poster A states that due to the imbalance of the 2, a lack of phosphates and excess nitrates(or vice versa) could lead to a serious problem when dosing vodka.

Poster B states that there is no problem and that nitrates will fall even as phosphates are already undetectable.

The two positions directly contradict each other. So which is it?

Has anyone dosed vodka and succeeded similar situation to the one I just posed?

Thanks for taking your time to read through my post.

Please keep any ideological arguments away from this thread (ak, Why not just change water?) I would greatly appreciate it.

MammothReefer
06/18/2008, 11:13 AM
I am dosing in a similar situation,

Phosphates < .2
Nitrates > 40ppm (reduced down from who knows what)

It seems to be slow but working.... but I'm also doing alot of water changes so I don't know what to attribute to what with 100% certainty.

cwegescheide
06/18/2008, 11:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12772253#post12772253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MammothReefer

Phosphates < .2

It seems to be slow but working.... but I'm also doing alot of water changes so I don't know what to attribute to what with 100% certainty.

Ya mean .02?

CyanoMagnet
06/19/2008, 12:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12772253#post12772253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MammothReefer

Phosphates < .2

Im guessing you have or had a phosphate reducer in your tank? I did.

I took it out, and started dumping (recommended) liquid gold pro plus into the tank. Maybe I got lucky. Nitrates are going down.. fast.

MammothReefer
06/19/2008, 11:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12772308#post12772308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cwegescheide
Ya mean .02?

no my test kit the lowest option is .25, then from there 0.. It's somewhere between .25 and 0 (I believe I'll have to double check.. it's the API kit..)

MammothReefer
06/19/2008, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12777468#post12777468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CyanoMagnet
Im guessing you have or had a phosphate reducer in your tank? I did.

I took it out, and started dumping (recommended) liquid gold pro plus into the tank. Maybe I got lucky. Nitrates are going down.. fast.

Ya I was running rowa, recently took it out when I had some reactor issues.. Was planning on putting it back on but I'm in no hurry now that I'm using vodka.

Liquid Gold Pro?