PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to drill a 150 glass tank? I don't want to break it!!

basssnake
06/17/2008, 02:32 PM
Please fully detail me on the best way to drill my 150 gallon glass tank. I do not want to break it.

I want to put one or two bulkheads in to drain water down to the sump, or however i need to make a drain to run water to the sump. I was thinking you could put fittings in and water would just run through and down to your sump? Or do you have to have some kind of siphoning effect?

Please detail me anyone that can help

GovenatorReefer
06/17/2008, 02:49 PM
some things i have learned about overflows from my build gooo bigger than you think i would got at least 2x 1 1/2 inch bulkheads but 2x 2 inch would be way better. that was a mistake with my tank

2: to drill the tank is easy if its not tempered glass

use any thing from kids puddy to sticky tack to make a mote to trap water around your diamond drill bit water cool the bit...

use duck tape on back of the glass to prevent it from falling down to other side of tank and cracking that glass and take your time and use this video to help...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zwc3o_rGmLg

geraldwhite
06/17/2008, 03:09 PM
Gravity will drain the tank, you don't need to do a siphon, using bulkheads as the fitting between the inside of the tank and the outside.

You need to figure out what size bulkheads you need for your tank by figuring out how much flow you want in the sump. I use 8x in my sump, you don't want the water to flow through there too quick, it needs contact time to be skimmed etc. I have a 300 gallon tank using two 2" drains and two 1" returns. I place tru-union ball valves on the drains to dial in the flow or shut the flow off for maintenance. You should do the same above the pump on the return side as well. You will need to service the pump from time to time and you want it easy to take out.

You can use the calculator on reef central to figure out the overflow and drain size for your tank. I would buy schedule 80 bulkheads first then place the gasket on the glass to figure out the hole size.

If the bottom of your tank is tempered glass then you can't drill it. Check with the tank manufacture for that info.

Then if your not comfortable drilling the glass, find a glass company to drill it for you. You can look in your yellow pages under glass for that. They wont guarantee that it wont crack but you should be okay.

Hope that helps.

Giga
06/17/2008, 03:28 PM
I just drilled 3 1-3/4" holes in my tank that is 1/2" glass just follow everyone instruction and go slow-takes like 15-20 mins per hole

azcraig
06/17/2008, 08:54 PM
Where do you get the bits?

NanoReefWanabe
06/17/2008, 09:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12768887#post12768887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by azcraig
Where do you get the bits?

Hard ware store or ebay...

search for diamond coated hole saw.

killerbee181
06/17/2008, 09:32 PM
http://richontools.com/index.html

Veni vidi vici
06/17/2008, 09:59 PM
Glass-holes.com ....shipping is free.
My 2-3/8" bit was $13

IPT
06/17/2008, 11:58 PM
Here was a great thread from RC on drilling.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=603816

I got my bits from the guy Lau on Ebay. They were so cheep I bought a few extras. I was able to do 2-3 holes with each bit. Once you get past the first hole, the nerves settle and you realize it ain;t that bad. I did do a test hole or two on scrap glass first though just to get the feel for it.

basssnake
06/18/2008, 05:58 AM
geraldwhite, My tank is a 150 gallon tank and the tank i want to use is a 55 gallon for the sump( i will have about four chambers with at least one with a low level for mangroves). Do you know or can you figure for me what i want to use?

My tank is a Top fin from petsmart. It doesn't have a label saying tempered glass, but the glass is about 1/2" thick(the bottom looks thinner, but has no tempered label). I have heard the top fin tanks are made by All-Glass, but i am not sure if that is true. The tank dimesions are 48"x24"x31"tall.

fote03
06/18/2008, 09:06 AM
I would bet that the bottom is tempered, but only by the fast the the glass is thinner. If so check out these overflows they work great. Their kits are great and come with everything you need. Plus they always add candy to your package.

http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=7

huntinweim
06/18/2008, 10:46 AM
For you guys that are drilling your tanks...

What type of Drills are you using (not bit but the actual drill)?

geraldwhite
06/18/2008, 12:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12770444#post12770444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake
geraldwhite, My tank is a 150 gallon tank and the tank i want to use is a 55 gallon for the sump( i will have about four chambers with at least one with a low level for mangroves). Do you know or can you figure for me what i want to use?

My tank is a Top fin from petsmart. It doesn't have a label saying tempered glass, but the glass is about 1/2" thick(the bottom looks thinner, but has no tempered label). I have heard the top fin tanks are made by All-Glass, but i am not sure if that is true. The tank dimesions are 48"x24"x31"tall.

I'm going to guess and say this is tempered. even if the sticker is not on there (orange sticker) its a sticker and could have come off.

Your going to need to use a HOB type box using a siphon. I would not risk the tank to drill it unless someone has this same tank and has drilled it before.

Question: If you could drill it were you going to build an overflow box around it? What are your plans here.

basssnake
06/18/2008, 02:06 PM
Well, If i needed to build a overflow box around the pipe fittings i will. I am wanting the holes about a few inches from the top of the tank. I could build a box around them if that is best.

geraldwhite
06/18/2008, 02:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12773502#post12773502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake
Well, If i needed to build a overflow box around the pipe fittings i will. I am wanting the holes about a few inches from the top of the tank. I could build a box around them if that is best.

Ok you lost me.. you want these holes in the bottom of the tank correct?

paulyl61
06/18/2008, 04:50 PM
The back and sides are almost certainly not tempered so you can drill the back. I used a cordless drill (I do not like AC around water). Drilling is really easy, keep the area wet as you drill and drill away. One caution is to get your bulkheads first then buy your bit as the actual hole size is different from manufaturer to manufacturer. The only way you can really be sure is if the outside diameter is listed (usually not), or measure yourself. Bulkheads are almost always listed by inside diameter only.

One other thing, I will have to disagree with one of the posters above, once you have a groove cut into the tank with the drill bit go ahead and drill as fast as your drill will go, he said 15-20 minutes a hole, I did 4 holes in my 75 in less than 5 minutes. The less time your bit is in contact with the glass the less chance to stress the glass and break it, just remember to not EVER, EVER push down on the drill, let it cut it's way with only the weight of the drill. Good Luck

Paul

IPT
06/18/2008, 11:29 PM
huntinweim - I just used a regular handheld battery operated 2 speed drill I had bought at Costco a while back. It did just fine.

basssnake
06/19/2008, 07:32 AM
geraldwhite, No i was thinking of drilling the back not the bottom. So, if i was to drill it, i would likely need a overflow box around the fittings right? They have little overflow boxes that go around them that are only about 6 inches deep and maybe a foot long(some go the length of the tank) and mount at the top of the tank(just goes around the fittings and overflows the water into it, probably to get the surface water).

I want to thank everyone for the input, and keep it coming, thanks

Pattylucylaura
06/19/2008, 11:40 AM
I would go check out the stuff at www.glass-holes.com the overflow kits come with holesaw bulkhead and everything else you need and there prices are pretty good plus you get free shipping on everything over $10. I got my overflow and return kit from them and had a problem with getting the wrong size hole saw for my return plumbing sent email new one was sent out same day they have excellent customer service.

stugray
06/19/2008, 11:57 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/60772DSCN0866.JPG

Nuff said

Stu

geraldwhite
06/19/2008, 12:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12779846#post12779846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stugray
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/60772DSCN0866.JPG

Nuff said

Stu

What he said... that will work... :) And no prob drilling the back, i thought you were drilling the bottom.

thecichlidpleco
06/19/2008, 07:00 PM
So going with glass holes is better than trying to piece together what will be needed from here and there, I plan on drilling 125, but have never drilled, and only have dremel. I know I can get diamond bits for it, but they are less than recommended for drilling holes? Also since it is not always known if the bottom is tempered, this is why the back is usually drilled instead of the bottom?

basssnake
06/19/2008, 07:58 PM
My tank is a Top fin from petsmart. The glass is about 1/2" thick. I talked to the contact number for the tank(which is to petsmart) and the lady i talked to said do not drill this tank. she didn't say it was or wasn't tempered, she just said it would weaken the tank and would likely break when water was put in. I asked her several times why other people do it and why you can buy tanks that have them drilled near the top and all she kept saying was i shouldn't do it. I am confused on why so many people are able to do it with their tanks. I mainly just want a safe way to flow water to my sump without the worries. What do you think on all this? thanks for your help, jack

Pattylucylaura
06/19/2008, 08:24 PM
I would say she didn't have any idea if it was tempered or not and was trying to saver her own A$$. I wouldn't say glass holes is better or worse than picking up parts here and there it is just another alternetive.

basssnake
06/20/2008, 12:31 AM
anyone else have anymore input?

basssnake
06/22/2008, 06:49 AM
Anyone else going to put some input?

NanoReefWanabe
06/22/2008, 07:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12770444#post12770444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake

no need for a shallow level water area for the mangroves...

they can handle water up on them fairly high, but what i did to keep them out of the water is...

i cut some eggcrate(light diffuser) up to fit the width of my tank and then made it narrow enough to sit on one of my baffles, then i suck styrofoam into the holes where i wanted the groves...then i just pushed the groves up from the bottom to the desired height i wanted...i have them sitting so that all the "brown" portion of the pod is in the water th rest of it is out...here is a pic i took today of my pods i got 1 month ago with no leaves what so ever on them..

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l46/crazyoldcougar/IMG_5262.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l46/crazyoldcougar/IMG_5263.jpg

basssnake
06/22/2008, 05:36 PM
Looks good, what was the reason for the styrofoam? So, your saying as long as i have part of the upper plant out of the water, they will be fine? I assume you used the eggcrate to hold them down so they would root? What happens when they out grown the diameter of the holes in the eggcrate? What are you using for substrate for them? I can just use a fixture with a compact fluroscent bulb(the curly shaped as you have there)? detail me.

NanoReefWanabe
06/22/2008, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12799948#post12799948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake
Looks good, what was the reason for the styrofoam? So, your saying as long as i have part of the upper plant out of the water, they will be fine? I assume you used the eggcrate to hold them down so they would root? What happens when they out grown the diameter of the holes in the eggcrate? What are you using for substrate for them? I can just use a fixture with a compact fluroscent bulb(the curly shaped as you have there)? detail me.

styrofoam was just to hold some of the thiner pods in place, (the pods will sink if they are not held up)...i am hoping like most plants they will either grow around the eggcrate or break it...

as fro substrate there is non..free floating roots...i am actually a little more worried about the root mass they are creating from slowing the flow through the baffles...

as for the bulb i am using a phillips daylight bulb, 15W 6500K, i change them every 4-6 months..they seem to shift after that in colour..

basssnake
06/23/2008, 08:01 AM
Can you get that bulb at walmart or a place like that? I thought people used mineral mud for them to grow in. Do they seem to be cleaning up the water? I was in tampa, florida here a few weeks ago and i collected a few mangroves myself(some with roots and leaves), and i got some buds(look like the plant without leaves, but was still attached to the tree, i read they actually start growing on the tree and then fall into the ocean and may float for up to a year til they find a place to grow, i hope the ones i got off the tree will be ready to grow). Do you think yours are the same kind of mangroves?

RichConley
06/23/2008, 08:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12769918#post12769918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IPT
Lau on Ebay. They were so cheep I bought a few extras. I was able to do 2-3 holes with each bit.

You're doing something wrong if you're only getting 2-3 holes per bit. I still have my original bit from him, and have done probably 2 dozen holes. Cuts like new.

basssnake
06/23/2008, 08:19 AM
Hey, richconley, do you think it is really easy to drill a 1/2"glass tank then?

RichConley
06/23/2008, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12803377#post12803377 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake

Yeah, as long as its not tempered, its a simple job. Drilling thicker glass is EASIER than thinner glass, it just takes longer. Just go slow, use plenty of water to keep the bit cool, and don't push. Should take 5 minutes or so per hole.

If you want a hard job, try drilling a 10g tank.

CAll the actual manufacturer before you do anything (not petsmart)

randomworker
06/23/2008, 10:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12803377#post12803377 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake

I second that. It is really easy. I just drilled a hole this weekend. Bought the bits from the guy named "lau" mentioned in the earlier posts, that took about a week. Drilled the hole in about 5 minutes. The concept of drilling glass sounds complicated, but goes rather easily once you start.

basssnake
06/23/2008, 03:01 PM
Everyone makes it sound so easy. One of my buddies is so sure that if i try it that i am going to break the tank. I don't know whether to try it or not. I have never done it before. I guess i could try to locate a junk tank and practice? I can't find a contact number for Top Fin directly. Supposedly you have to contact Petsmart for any questions on the tanks since they are only sold by petsmart. They say that if i drill it, that it will weaken the tank and the tank will likely break when filled with water. I really don't understand that since the holes being there with fittings that it would in my opinion lower some of the water pressure on the tank itself. She never said whether the tank is tempered or not. What do you all think?

geraldwhite
06/23/2008, 04:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12805956#post12805956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake
Everyone makes it sound so easy. One of my buddies is so sure that if i try it that i am going to break the tank. I don't know whether to try it or not. I have never done it before. I guess i could try to locate a junk tank and practice? I can't find a contact number for Top Fin directly. Supposedly you have to contact Petsmart for any questions on the tanks since they are only sold by petsmart. They say that if i drill it, that it will weaken the tank and the tank will likely break when filled with water. I really don't understand that since the holes being there with fittings that it would in my opinion lower some of the water pressure on the tank itself. She never said whether the tank is tempered or not. What do you all think?

Again this is petsmart we are talking about here. They don't know what they are talking about most of them make 8 bucks an hour and can't wait to go home.

If you are worried have a local glass company do it, for the cost of buying the bit you need they will drill it for you.

NanoReefWanabe
06/23/2008, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12803291#post12803291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake
Can you get that bulb at walmart or a place like that? I thought people used mineral mud for them to grow in. Do they seem to be cleaning up the water? I was in tampa, florida here a few weeks ago and i collected a few mangroves myself(some with roots and leaves), and i got some buds(look like the plant without leaves, but was still attached to the tree, i read they actually start growing on the tree and then fall into the ocean and may float for up to a year til they find a place to grow, i hope the ones i got off the tree will be ready to grow). Do you think yours are the same kind of mangroves?

fairly sure there are only two types of mangrove red and black...these are red ones...much easier to grow from seed (pods) however apparently not as effective as the black...but effective none-the-less...you dont need to have the roots in anything...just water...

as for the lights i get them at homedepot..there a bunch of places that sell 6500K compact flouresent bulbs..

basssnake
06/24/2008, 04:41 AM
I am thinking there is also a green mangrove. All i know is i have the ones that grow in tampa florida. I hope they clean my water, otherwise, they will be a waist of my time.

I could talk to some glass shops about drilling. I talked to the one local one time, and they said no guarantee on the glass breaking. I understand that, but it scares me if they are unsure of themselves too.

RichConley
06/24/2008, 10:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12806693#post12806693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geraldwhite

If you are worried have a local glass company do it, for the cost of buying the bit you need they will drill it for you.

IIRC, I paid $6 shipped for my bit. The local glass company wanted $30 a hole.

NanoReefWanabe
06/24/2008, 09:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12809883#post12809883 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake
I am thinking there is also a green mangrove. All i know is i have the ones that grow in tampa florida. I hope they clean my water, otherwise, they will be a waist of my time.

I could talk to some glass shops about drilling. I talked to the one local one time, and they said no guarantee on the glass breaking. I understand that, but it scares me if they are unsure of themselves too.

pretty sure my pods came from florida too...

Glass comapny isnt unsure f themselves, the just know that **it happens sometimes and they dont want to be responsible for breaking your tank...

eddnyster
06/24/2008, 10:18 PM
Drilling a hole near the top, where pressure is less, weakens the glass but not enough to make it crack. Try to drill the hole hear a corner BUT not too close to it. Remember, glass is strong! Manufacturer's had to make acrylic way thicker to be able to obtain the same strength glass has. If you really want to avoid the "hassle" just get a continuous siphon overflow box that mounts right onto the tank.

basssnake
06/25/2008, 06:24 AM
I don't mind the trouble if i don't break the tank or cause it to get weak enough to break with water in it. I believe that this top fin tank is made by Perfecto(i see a lable near the top of the tank tha thas the manufacture date and has a boat anchor just like perfecto. I did buy a 29 gallon tank for 5 dollars that has a crack in one end that i could practice on.

How reliable are the overflow box's that use the airline from a powerhead to keep the siphon going and to restart it after a power failure? Do they malfunction very often and cause a flood? Anyone have anymore input?

basssnake
06/27/2008, 05:14 PM
Anyone else have any input?

sjm817
06/27/2008, 06:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12817548#post12817548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by basssnake

How reliable are the overflow box's that use the airline from a powerhead to keep the siphon going and to restart it after a power failure? Do they malfunction very often and cause a flood? Anyone have anymore input?
They are terrible. Dont even consider one.
Drilling really easy. Have you looked at any of the videos that show you how to do it?