PDA

View Full Version : Upward Flow ?

OCEAN SIZE
06/17/2008, 09:26 PM
Hey all - I'm considering the flow pattern for my tank.

I have a WaveBox (and the requisite central overflow), so I'm looking to pattern my return flow with that in mind.

I'm considering making a Calfo style manifold, except on the bottom of the tank, with the outlets pointing up to keep detritus in suspension.

What do you think? Make sense ?

seapug
06/17/2008, 10:07 PM
just remember in a power outage the water will drain back to the sump until the outlets are exposed to air and the siphon is broken. That could mean completely draining the tank with a design like you have in mind.

SeanT
06/17/2008, 11:25 PM
...unless you make it with a closed loop. :)

OCEAN SIZE
06/18/2008, 09:22 AM
Hmmmm great thoughts guys -

What if I included a siphon break hole just above the water line?

Also, what if I included a ball check-valve just above the pump (the pressure stops, the ball drops and fills the cup, water stops - Hayward makes them and I have one in use - not 100% guaranteed but a nice redundancy)?

Rouselb
06/18/2008, 06:48 PM
check valves are not reliable, i have two in-line and they did work for awhile, now they dont close all the way. You should only do this design with a CL.

OCEAN SIZE
06/18/2008, 11:20 PM
I was considering plumbing a CL. This adds to the impetus to do so.

Would a siphon break hole also add redundancy ?

SeanT
06/18/2008, 11:30 PM
With a closed loop you will need netiher check valve nor siphon break.
Just be sure to use unions and ballvalves so you can remove the pump for cleaning.

Sean

OCEAN SIZE
06/18/2008, 11:40 PM
I don't know if I can have a true closed loop with the setup I have. The tank has a biiiiig central overflow box. There are two 1.5" drains on it. I'd like to use one to go to the sump (in a shed, behind the wall), and the other to do a CL right there... except that's not a truly closed loop, right?

PaulieWalnuts
06/19/2008, 12:31 AM
i plan i making my closed loop point up wards in the 4 corners, it will also give you good surface movement. but i am also going to have a side to side flow. I would like to see yours when it is done.

OCEAN SIZE
06/23/2008, 03:00 PM
I think if I have the plumbing from the bottom connected to the pump (and have a siphon break above the water for good measure), I'm safe, even though the pump doesn't have a dedicated overflow feeding it (it shares the overflow box with a tube going to the sump), if my physics are correct.

I like the idea of a tub pointing up from each corner, and if I was careful, I could do that. The tradeoff is some pressure since it takes some bends to get the tubing pointing that way, but its a really good idea Paulie.