PDA

View Full Version : Nano skimmer preferred water level?

in2deep
06/18/2008, 05:34 PM
Is it true that the little Nano skimmer works better with the water level a little higher than the water level line that is actually shown on the skimmer box?

in2deep
06/18/2008, 07:27 PM
After seeing Musho3210's post I am now fairly certain that I have the valve closed too far in since I am not getting a fraction of the skimmate he is in a week so I will open her up a bit and try it.
Thanks Musho for the post.

rvitko
06/19/2008, 08:57 AM
The opposite is true, it should be about 1/2" below the marked line.

Musho3210
06/19/2008, 08:55 PM
Everyones tank is different so every skimmer will work differently on that tank. Try both, see whatever works for you, dont take my advice with full certainty.

Adjusting the air valve worked better for me to get a good skimmate rather than worrying about water level.

in2deep
06/20/2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys. It seems that when I open up the air valve too far then it skims wetter or tends to overfill faster as would be expected. I am guessing that Roger is saying that by running the water level lower in the tank it may in essence lower the head pressure on the pump allowing it to push more water (and also air).
I have been feeding brine shrimp lately to the clownsfish and that really messes up any skimmer and makes for big bubbles that pop quickly since the brine shrimp are gut plugged and probably oily and it happened with other kinds of skimmers too and that is making it hard for me to get dialed in so the input was helpful and appreciated and will help me get dialed in quicker.
I could not be more pleased with the skimmer as it's silent,does not add heat, and does not allow bubbles to get into the tank.