PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the Final Answer on T5 for SPS

layer3switchguy
06/19/2008, 06:47 AM
Folks,

I'm really having a tough time figuring out how to light my new 120g Oceanic Tech (48x24x24). I currently have the low profile Coralife Dual 250w fixture, but I'm not real happy with it. One of the issues I have is the need for a low profile light that can sit either directly on top of my tank, or be slightly elevated (no more than 2 - 3 inches). Either it's the Coralife fixture or me, but the light is so freaking harsh it hurts to look at it. Not to mention it's built very poorly. When I use the mounting legs, my line of site when sitting in my office is such that I simply can't keep the halides on.

I starting looking hard at T5, as there are some amazing low profile fixtures that would be perfect for my need. My problem is, there is so much conflicting information regarding these lights and SPS corals, it's hard to make an educated decision. I love SPS, and want to emphasize then in the new tank. I can see myself putting a clam or two in the tank as well down the road. Before I plunk down north of 1K for T5, I'd really love a solid answer - can you grow and keep SPS corals under T5?

Anyone wish to chime in? Ideally I'd love to see this thread become a sticky if we can collect enough useful information on T5 for SPS. I did see a few other threads discussing this, but many of those posts turned into a religious war between T5 and MH with no real useful information...

Looking forward to some useful and enlightening (pun intended) feedback. :)

Cheers,
L3

jbeltmann
06/19/2008, 07:10 AM
I have a 75g w/ a tek 6 bulb and haven't had any problems with sps or clams. If you really want to become a believer just look up newschool04 gallery and see if he has pics of his 75 when it was up and running. Exact same setup I have and the growth and color is just astounding! I think that your tank being 24" deep you will have a bit more of a challenge keeping things that are light demanding on the bottom of the tank. That is unless you overdrive you bulbs. Are retros out of the question?

layer3switchguy
06/19/2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks, I'm looking at the Solarflare, which does overdrive the bulbs.

will16
06/19/2008, 07:43 AM
I have a Oceanic 90 tech tank and am running 5 overdriven T5's (400w). With the eurobracing, that's all I could fit. Just recently started sps but so far so good. I have most of them placed mid to high in the tank. Also have a clam in the middle. I haven't had this setup long enough to say longterm.

Look at this guy, he is running T5's. 10 bulbs. Amazing sps tank

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1362596

ReefRockerLive
06/19/2008, 07:57 AM
I'd go for an ATI PowerModule since they are quality fixtures that is near the price of a Solarflare. Besides, the ATI fixture drives the bulbs near the intensity of overdriven bulbs while still maintaining proper bulb life.

layer3switchguy
06/19/2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys...

ret25yo
06/19/2008, 10:54 AM
yes .... ATI powermodules work awesome i love mine and will actually purchase another one here in 2 months (3rd one) I am totally sold on the power of these fixtures.

dwilly
06/19/2008, 10:55 AM
The T5's will absolutely work for sps as long as you have the individual reflectors. Most of people saying they won't work are those who have mh's and have never tried a good T5 fixture. Keeping them that close to the water means you are more likely to have an issue w/ too much light than you are w/ too little light. I keep mine 7.5" above the water level.