PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean base/dead rock?

SueQ
06/19/2008, 08:43 AM
Hi everyone! I took a bit of a break from reefing, but am starting back up with a lil' 5g cadlights aio. I saved some of my rock from my previous tank but it's been out of the water for well over 1 yr now.
So, my question is this: I want to use a couple of pieces of this base/dead rock in my new tank (no purchased LR). It's got some guck on it from being outside for several months after I broke my old tank down. What's everyone's opinion on cleaning it up before adding it to the tank? Can I just spray it off with a hose outside, let it dry and then add it to the nano so it can start the tank cycling? Add it in as is with all the guck? Or is there another method?
TIA:)

Fish_wiz2
06/19/2008, 09:19 AM
Bleach it then clean it very well and then cycle it, easy and works.

SueQ
06/19/2008, 10:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12778820#post12778820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fish_wiz2
Bleach it then clean it very well and then cycle it, easy and works.

It's already been sun bleached a good 6 months in the intense FL sun.... do I really still need to do a chemical bleaching? The rock is white, except for the cobwebs and bug skeletons....

OceanDweller
06/20/2008, 12:20 AM
lol I do not think you would need to do anything else except clean out the webs and bugs.. You might want to get your calcium and idonie levels a bit on the high side to encourage good growth on the rock=

Fish_wiz2
06/20/2008, 07:05 AM
then just rinse it with R/O water and cycle.

SueQ
06/20/2008, 07:13 AM
Ok, great! Thanks for the feedback :D