PDA

View Full Version : Marine Betta experience ???

jrockssvt
06/19/2008, 09:31 AM
Have never had a chance to see one in person, anyone have any experience with them? Do they swim a lot or hide? Whats there temperment like? Any pros/cons?

huntinweim
06/19/2008, 10:30 AM
From my experience (in the past) they like to eat shrimp and crabs??, can also get picked on a bit and have their fins ripped up by other more aggressive fish.

If i remember right they do hide a lot (but this was in holding tanks...not permanent displays)

Jah2707
06/19/2008, 11:23 AM
I have had one for about year now. I love it. Yes at first it did hide allot but now you can always find it. It will eat shrimp if it can catch them. (eat cleaners but can not catch my fire shrimp) I have never seen it eat crabs before. One of my favorite fish

tonyman
06/19/2008, 12:05 PM
I have one for a few months now. Very kool fish. They do hide a lot. But once the get use to seeing you they'll come out more often. Mine eats mysis, I got lucky it ate before I bougt it. Try to get one that already eats dead/prepared food. Shrimp is not recommed, but hermits/snails were fine.

mrkalel
06/19/2008, 01:42 PM
This guys is a wonderful addition to my reef, people love to see him behind my rocks and then slowly swim out....

I love to target feed him as well, quick snap... food's gone...

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/mrkalel/Pets/reef/d4a401a8.jpg

package
06/19/2008, 02:09 PM
They will take a beating from anything aggressive. They seem to only want to fight with their reflection. The sooner you get it to accept something frozen as opposed to live the better I think.

Mine could never eat something as big as a cleaner shrimp but would stalk it as if it was going to. They seem to prefer less light also from what I experienced.

scrmbld33
06/19/2008, 02:18 PM
they also like to have a nice cave in the rock work to hide