PDA

View Full Version : painting the back of tank

bkvreef
06/19/2008, 10:04 AM
Suggestions on how to paint the back of a glass tank?

I saw someone used a spray can, but I wasn't sure what kind.

Any suggestions?

By the way I'm going to go with black to cover my overflow boxes.

george1098
06/19/2008, 10:48 AM
Would you be spraying the inside or the outside?
Most of us spray the outside, but keep in mind that no spraypaint will still well to glass, so you eventually get little chips in the paint. If you spray the inside, use Krylon spraypaint (should say Krylon somewhere on the lable) and allow a few days for the paint to offgass before you add water. You will also scratch off all your paint the first time yuo try to clean the back of the tank, which is why most of us paint the outside.

TommyVincent
06/19/2008, 01:52 PM
I have a 75G that I used rust-oleum appliance Epoxy that I purchased from Lowes! (Comes in a spray can) Mask tape your trim on the Tank, make sure the glass is CLEAN,MOISTURE and OIL FREE before painting. Use light misting coats,(Dont just lay it on trying to cover too Quickly) waiting a few minutes to tack up between coats, this wiil ensure the paint doesnot run on the smooth surface. Once fully cured its pretty tough, I run heavy duty cleaning magnets up and down the back of the tank with no problems at all. Paint exterior of tank)

Craig731
06/19/2008, 02:15 PM
I simply used latex paint.

Mostly because there is a good possibility of me removing it (blue now) for black later.

I've had to reapply once after my HOB skimmer created a tear, but otherwise it's stuck on well.

OceanDweller
06/20/2008, 12:06 AM
Krylon fusion spray pain works the best I believe, general Latex can tend to clump and fade over time

storrisch
06/20/2008, 10:13 PM
I used Krylon Fusion Flat Black on mine. Worked perfect.

fishfl
06/20/2008, 10:44 PM
glass stain/paint works well. You can get it in the craft section at walmart. Its like 2 dallors.

scott11
06/20/2008, 10:49 PM
i used normal spray paint. Lots of light coats. I have never had an issue. If it gets scraped, you can just do a touch up with a small brush