PDA

View Full Version : Coral growth/Alot of questions

adamblackburn22
06/19/2008, 10:35 AM
I'm going to start a frag tank in a few months but would like to be prepared for everything. My current set up is a 65g RR,2-250 watt aquamedic pendents 10k, Octopus 110 recirc, TLF phosband reactor,2 Seio 1100 on a Seio controller, 2 36 inch vho actinic on Ice cap 430, 29 gallon sump, mag 7 return. I want to sell my 65 and get a 30 breeder. I've never kept anything besides Sps in my tanks and don't no what kind of water quality Lps need. So here's a few questions.

Is it possible to keep Sps and Lps in the same tank?
Do I have enough/to much lighting to keep them both happy?
Does a 30 breeder seem big enough for a beginner to propagating?
Will I feel up the 30 G fast?
I have about 25 frags of Sps and 4 colonies of caps(sps). Will I have enough room for Lps?
Should I have a refugium?
Should I have a sand bed in the sump?
Should I have rock in the sump?
Should I run that much flow in a Lps tank?
Should I seperate the tank with a divider?

Well I think that's all for now.

thanks

Adam

yellowslayer13
06/19/2008, 12:12 PM
Is it possible to keep Sps and Lps in the same tank? Yes it is possible as in my 72 gallon i have SPS and acans,duncans blastos

Do I have enough/to much lighting to keep them both happy? Yes you raise the sps on egg crate and keep the LPS on the bottom or for some in the middle

Does a 30 breeder seem big enough for a beginner to propagating? Yes in the future with your profits you can buy a larger tank.

Will I fill up the 30 G fast? no as long as corals are being sold as they grow

I have about 25 frags of Sps and 4 colonies of caps(sps). Will I have enough room for Lps?
Yes depending on how large your caps are

Should I have a refugium?
no just more work
Should I have a sand bed in the sump?
yes
Should I have rock in the sump?
yes yes and another 20 pounds of yes
Should I run that much flow in a Lps tank?
i have 14 times turnover
Should I seperate the tank with a divider?
no

sdietz2469
06/19/2008, 12:17 PM
yes, you can keep them both, some lps cant handle alot of light, but if you put some shelves to hidethem under it would help, i would recommend something bigger as it is easier to maintain alk/ cal when you have more water volume....a 30 gal will fill up fast.... not sure on bein big enough for lps, depends on what species you want to do(sweeper tenticles),always run a refugium for waste breakdown with macros.... sand is a personal preferance in the sump, but i would run lots of rock..... some lps dont like alot of flow, each piece is different.... no dont use a divider..... hope i helped... just my opinions...
shane