PDA

View Full Version : Are my lights too old?

Sam Maghsoodloo
06/19/2008, 01:49 PM
Lately, i've been noticing that my soft corals havn't been opening up as big as they used to. They look healthy otherwise, but they're not as "plump" as they used to be. My water parameters are really good (as far as i can tell), and there's no other reason i can think of why they're unhappy. Coraline has just started growing in the last couple of months, and is still growing well so i know the water quality is good.
The only think i can think of is my bulbs. I have a 4x55W power compact retrofit system with a reflector. But I'm certain the bulbs are really old, since i got them with the used system about 6 months ago, and never replaced the bulbs (so who knows how old they are). Would this cause my softies to act this way? (I've got ricordias, and a hammer coral).

Has anyone else notice this with old bulbs?

MMM33732
06/19/2008, 01:56 PM
It wouldn't hurt to replace them. It would be a safe bet to say that they were probably pretty old when it was sold to you 6 months ago. I've personally never noticed any of my softies acting that way when my bulbs get old, but theres no way of knowing exactly how old they are and how much their output may have changed and I never let mine get too old. What exactly are your water parameters? If I were you I'd go ahead and replace the bulbs regardless just because they prob need it by now. www.hellolights.com had some awesome service when I ordered form them and their pc's are a good price too.

Sam Maghsoodloo
06/19/2008, 02:21 PM
well, i am going to replace the lights soon anyways, but i just wanted to know if i need to look for another problem that's more serious.