PDA

View Full Version : Are overflows required for a sump

PeterEmard
06/19/2008, 07:35 PM
As the title says, I was looking at adding a sump to my 55g tank. I currently have a rena xp3 and a prizm pro skimmer but I would like to upgrade my skimmer. with that note it seems that the better skimmers should go into a sump but is it required to have an overflow hanging on the back of the tank? instead of adding an overflow can I use a pump within the tank with a ball valve going to the sump itself? All suggestions are wanted. im new to saltwater systems and any bit of help is appreciated

Aquarist007
06/19/2008, 07:43 PM
[welcome]

try this thread for a few ideas

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1393985

joshkennedy07
06/19/2008, 07:48 PM
There is way to many factor (and failure points) stick with the overflow.

Even if you are a mathematical genius and can figure out the proper balance between 2 pump (headloss, pipe lenth, etc.) what happens when one gets partially clogged or seizes?

CPR makes a fairly reliable overflow box. Make sure you use the aqualifter pump with it. Over better yet, use a drilled tank.

Lotus99
06/19/2008, 09:39 PM
You definitely need gravity to move the water one way, and a pump the other.

Some people have done a sump above the tank, using a pump to pump water in, and letting gravity return it to the tank.

Playa-1
06/19/2008, 10:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12783572#post12783572 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lotus99
You definitely need gravity to move the water one way, and a pump the other.

Some people have done a sump above the tank, using a pump to pump water in, and letting gravity return it to the tank.

I agree.

seapug
06/19/2008, 10:30 PM
+2.
Gravity is your friend. It will only take as much water out of the tank as is pumped in from the sump so you have a nice, simple loop.

tmz
06/20/2008, 12:27 AM
+3. If you do decide to add an overflow use a U tube type. Do not use the type reffered to as continuoous siphon . They loose their siphon frequently and cause floods. Ideally you would have your tank drilled but U type overflows are very reliable. If your space is such that yu can do it in an aestheticaly pleasing way a sump with a drain hole over the tank my be a good way to go

PeterEmard
06/20/2008, 01:49 AM
thanks for everyones help and suggestions. i cant drill my tank so i will need to get some type of overflow. the u tube one looks interesting. should i make one or buy it? at the bottom is a link of someone who made a u tube overflow and explains how it works or is it worth the extra money to just buy one created by a company. if so, what brands work good and are easy to use. do you have a website where i can buy one at a fair price? thanks in advance

http://www.melevsreef.com/prime_overflow.html

EDIT: found this one for a decent price anyone used this brand before?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18358

freedominco
06/20/2008, 03:11 AM
That is the same one I have only smaller, I have never had a problem with the overflow.

PeterEmard
06/20/2008, 11:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12784598#post12784598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by freedominco
That is the same one I have only smaller, I have never had a problem with the overflow.
thanks

tmz
06/20/2008, 08:33 PM
That overflow looks good. Working with acrylic can be difficult if you have not done it before. For a relativley inexpensive item like an overflow I think I would just buy it . I don't think you could save much if anything doing it yourself.