PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone recommend the JBJ Auto Top Off (A.T.O)?

kookerson
06/19/2008, 08:31 PM
Im thinking about picking one up, but just like with everything else that I buy, I like to consult RC first.....what do you guys think?

Holyreefer
06/19/2008, 09:01 PM
I too was thinking about getting one of these auto top off units myself. I read yesterday on one of the reviews that the suction cup for the unit sucks... but the guy said he just used marine glue or somethin go keep it up

AngeloM3
06/19/2008, 09:39 PM
I have a JBJ ATO... never had any problems... I don't use the suction cups... I'm able to use the brackets that hang on the edge of the tank.

Comes with two sensors... so you can have a 'low' one and a 'high' one. so incase the 'low' one gets stuck once the water hits the 'high' one it'll shut the pump off. i just make sure i dip the 'high' one in warm water each week to make sure salt creep doesn't make it stick.

I use this as my pump...
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=OE1137&utm_source=mdhfl20080606b2&utm_medium=mdfl&utm_term=mdhflOE113720080606b2Left&utm_content=mdhflb2Left&utm_campaign=mdhfl

FranktheTankTx
06/19/2008, 09:41 PM
I replied to thread similar to this a week or go or so.

While I'm sure this is a very nice ATO unit... I don't know why you wouldn't goto ATO.com and pick one up that is far cheaper. I purchased a unit for $40 from ATO.com this past month. It's simple & works perfectly.

That's my suggestion.

AngeloM3
06/19/2008, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12783581#post12783581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FranktheTankTx
I replied to thread similar to this a week or go or so.

While I'm sure this is a very nice ATO unit... I don't know why you wouldn't goto ATO.com and pick one up that is far cheaper. I purchased a unit for $40 from ATO.com this past month. It's simple & works perfectly.

That's my suggestion.

Ummm... ato.com has nothing to do with auto top offs

Mikeeee
06/19/2008, 10:02 PM
I just ordered a Tunze ATO.. not much more $ and i have heard its better quality..

FranktheTankTx
06/19/2008, 10:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12783631#post12783631 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AngeloM3
Ummm... ato.com has nothing to do with auto top offs
Uh, yea it does. I didn't spell it out (thought you might know what it was). It's www.autotopoff.com

Eklikewhoa
06/20/2008, 03:17 AM
I like my JBJ

mouscacha
06/20/2008, 03:21 AM
I have one too. Previous to buying the jbj, I got one of the DIY kits, but just got lazy. I'd buy jbj again if I had the choice.

Yes, Tunze is better at keeping the salinity EXACT. It uses a digital leveler instead of a float switch, so it's also less prone to getting stuck. That being said, the jbj automatically turns off the pump after a minute or so, so no problems with stuck switches...

jade2122
06/20/2008, 06:20 AM
i love my ATO, i couldn't imagine living without it, had it for over 6 months and never any problems. seems to keep the corals much happier having salinity stay pretty exact.

daven
06/20/2008, 06:54 AM
I have the JBJ. Working for 9 months and no problems.

Danny07204
06/20/2008, 07:23 AM
JBJ ATO has to be one of the best investment I've made for my tank. 7 months so far.

Amoore311
06/20/2008, 07:36 AM
The JBJ and the Tunze both need routine maintenance (but then again what doesn't :p)

The Tunze Optical Sensor needs cleaning periodically as does the JBJ Float Switches.

What I do like about the Tunze is that the pump is only allowed to run for like 10 minutes max? Good thing to have if you get lazy and forget to clean the sensor and get a bad water level reading.

Either one will keep you happy.

Slakker
06/20/2008, 08:28 AM
The JBJ ATO does the same thing. After a certain amount of time it kills the pump, regardless of what the floats are tellling it. You can also open up the unit and change the interval by adjusting a screw on the circuit board. Instructions for that are on the JBJ website, I believe.

I have one and I like it a lot. My only problem is keeping the "wet" end of the tubing for the AquaLifter in the water in my top off reservoir. Since the tubing came wound up in the package, naturally it would have a big bend in it right near the end that should be submerged, which means sometimes I get home from work and find my return section a bit low because the pump has been sucking air.

That has nothing to do with the unit itself, though...just gotta find some way to secure the tubing in the reservoir.

kookerson
06/20/2008, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12783570#post12783570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AngeloM3
I have a JBJ ATO... never had any problems... I don't use the suction cups... I'm able to use the brackets that hang on the edge of the tank.

Comes with two sensors... so you can have a 'low' one and a 'high' one. so incase the 'low' one gets stuck once the water hits the 'high' one it'll shut the pump off. i just make sure i dip the 'high' one in warm water each week to make sure salt creep doesn't make it stick.

I use this as my pump...
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=OE1137&utm_source=mdhfl20080606b2&utm_medium=mdfl&utm_term=mdhflOE113720080606b2Left&utm_content=mdhflb2Left&utm_campaign=mdhfl

i have an extra maxijet laying around that I plan on using, but thanks!

Slakker
06/20/2008, 02:40 PM
What sized maxijet? I had been using an MJ900 but swapped it out for an AquaLifter because I wanted to top off more gradually.

jubjub
06/20/2008, 02:45 PM
i got a jbj i would of prob got one from autotopoff.com but i was kinda in a rush but in the end my jbj has worked great..best investment i ever made

kookerson
06/20/2008, 02:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12787984#post12787984 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
What sized maxijet? I had been using an MJ900 but swapped it out for an AquaLifter because I wanted to top off more gradually.

MJ1200.

mouscacha
06/20/2008, 03:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12785568#post12785568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
The JBJ ATO does the same thing. After a certain amount of time it kills the pump, regardless of what the floats are tellling it. You can also open up the unit and change the interval by adjusting a screw on the circuit board. Instructions for that are on the JBJ website, I believe.

I have one and I like it a lot. My only problem is keeping the "wet" end of the tubing for the AquaLifter in the water in my top off reservoir. Since the tubing came wound up in the package, naturally it would have a big bend in it right near the end that should be submerged, which means sometimes I get home from work and find my return section a bit low because the pump has been sucking air.

That has nothing to do with the unit itself, though...just gotta find some way to secure the tubing in the reservoir.

If you have a float switch in the reservoir, there's a space for the tubing.

unbreakable
06/20/2008, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12787984#post12787984 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker

slakker, if youre worried about the tube, go to your LFS and ask them for the small rigid tubing. i fixed that problem by inserting the rigid tubing into the flexible tubing and placing it in my resevoir.

i dont like the aqua lifter even though its setup on my biocube with an ultralife float switch. i always had problems with the pump when i used it on my 28

i also use the JBJ ato and it works great, cant complain

AngeloM3
06/20/2008, 03:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12784612#post12784612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mouscacha
... the jbj automatically turns off the pump after a minute or so, so no problems with stuck switches...

Hmmm I didn't know that.... well I guess it's a good thing I didn't know that :lol:

Slakker
06/20/2008, 04:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12788379#post12788379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nietzsche
slakker, if youre worried about the tube, go to your LFS and ask them for the small rigid tubing. i fixed that problem by inserting the rigid tubing into the flexible tubing and placing it in my resevoir.

i dont like the aqua lifter even though its setup on my biocube with an ultralife float switch. i always had problems with the pump when i used it on my 28

...wow...I'm pretty sure that I have rigid tubing laying around somewhere...I'm dumb.

What problems did you have with the Aqualifter? So far it's been great for me, but it has only been a week or so.

mouscacha
06/20/2008, 05:35 PM
Thing gets stuck every now-and-then. If you're dosing kalk with it, it'll die after about a month or so.

I've been lucky to have one that's lasted for 4 months now...... *expects to see it dead when he goes home*

unbreakable
06/20/2008, 06:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12788504#post12788504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
...wow...I'm pretty sure that I have rigid tubing laying around somewhere...I'm dumb.

What problems did you have with the Aqualifter? So far it's been great for me, but it has only been a week or so.

i dont know, its like the constant on and off that kills it. right now, when it turns on, air is stuck in it and just blows a little bit of water and air out of the tube, even though it wasnt like that when i set it up. i think it works better for me if everything is level, like the tubing and pump

csb
06/20/2008, 07:07 PM
I have the JBJ ATO. It's nice to have an auto-topoff, but the JBJ unit hasn't been very reliable for me. It must be checked daily because the unit will randomly cease to function without explanation. I've witnessed the failure condition first hand and it's not caused by the timeout or low water function... basically, it just stops working.

I was able to DIY a nice controller for my RO reservoir, which is essentially the same thing. After my experience with that, I feel that I could DIY a more reliable ATO for much cheaper than $99. If I had known this before buying the JBJ unit, I would have definitely opted to make my own.

Yes, the JBJ is a nice unit with some nice features, but since it's not 100% reliable, I'm still always worried about the tank when I leave the house. (which is normal for this hobby anyway, heh)

E.J. Coral
06/20/2008, 07:51 PM
zip-tie it to a PVC elbow. Works great.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12785568#post12785568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker

CoralJunkieXXX
06/20/2008, 07:52 PM
I have had one for years with no problems

E.J. Coral
06/20/2008, 07:53 PM
The pre-filter sold for the aqualifter extends its life significantly. Especially when used with kalk.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12788379#post12788379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nietzsche

Musho3210
06/20/2008, 08:22 PM
im happy with the tunze, it seems to have better reviews than the jbj, and it comes with a reliable pump.