PDA

View Full Version : Base rock cement

Wildcatreef
06/19/2008, 09:57 PM
I have some smaller pieces of base rock that I want to put together to make some larger pieces. Is there some type of cement or glue I can use to put the pieces together? Maybe something cheaper than the frag putty. Silicone, Portland cement, Pond Foam?

Thanks

Bruno3047
06/20/2008, 06:56 PM
I've been using silicone to assemble Marco Rock Reef Rubble into some really nice aqua-scaping pieces.

The pieces to be glued should be totally dry and free of dust, etc., the pieces should be a "snug fit" to each other, and you should allow the two pieces to dry for a couple of hours before adding the next piece to the "assembly".

I've used 4 or 5 pieces of the rubble to make some really interesting gates, arches, etc.

xJake
06/20/2008, 08:02 PM
I've heard of people using thorite cement with success; however, thorite cement is basically a mixture of portland cement, quartz sand, and a few other aggregates.

Personally, I will be using Great Stuff foam covered in pulverized limestone in my upcoming build. What I'll be doing is forming my shapes using the rock and pond foam and then allowing the foam to fully cure. I'll then go back with a propane torch and melt the surface of the foam while applying the pulverized limestone. When the surface of the foam cools it holds the limestone in place and creates a more natural looking texture.

I've seen my local zoo use this technique to construct backdrops for their amphibian exhibits and it works rather well.