PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing carbon

camlov2
06/19/2008, 10:10 PM
I am about to use flatworm exit for the first time and I have been told to be ready for a water change and to also run carbon. I have a biocube and was told to put a filter sock on top of the 2nd chamber in back and let the water run over it. I was told to rinse the carbon before putting it in.

This is where my question comes in. How long do you rinse? I have rinsed for quite a while... Now if I don't move the bag at all the water looks clear but if I move the bag the water coming out is grey. How do you tell when the carbon has been rinsed long enough?

Adamc1303
06/19/2008, 10:18 PM
Just rinsing untill its clear. Shake the bag allot and grind it a bit. Shouldn't take more than a few min.

reef_doug
06/19/2008, 10:23 PM
Yep... until in rinses clear. Different cabons have different amounts of dust. A few minutes under running water works for me.

If you have time, it's also good to soak in overnight in RO/DI. Some people recomend soaking in hotwater for a day or so. IMO... doesn't really matter. Just don't soak in tap water too long.

Boomer
06/19/2008, 10:37 PM
No doug it really does not matter as you stated. However, besides dust, the risning is also to remove any trapped "gases" or other products in the pores and "wet" them.