PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for new 29 gal

Goobler
06/20/2008, 08:45 AM
I've narrowed down my lighting upgrades for my tank to either the current sundial T5 HO 4x24W or the current SunPod 150W halide, I'm just running PC now. I mostly want to keep my softies from the current tank and get a few LPS and maybe a clam. Will the T5 fixture be able to handle it?

Anyways, any opinions on these two lights? Or any other suggestions? These are some of the only fixtures that i found that fit the 30" dimensions of the 29 gal.

HookedOnReefing
06/20/2008, 08:52 AM
Sure. The T5's should fit the bill just fine.

Goobler
06/20/2008, 03:53 PM
Do you think it will be alright for a clam though? I checked out the T5's at a LFS and they didn't have individual reflectors, other than that seemed like a good fixture.

LJA
06/20/2008, 04:11 PM
I have the 4x24 Sundial on my 29, no corals yet though! But all the advice that I got about the light before I bought it leads me to believe that depending on your placement you can keep pretty much anything except high light SPS.

I plan on buying a clan for my tank when it hits the 8-12 month mark and placing it about 6 inches down from the light.

And contrary to what some reviews say on Marine Depot about this fixture, it is very easy to set the timers (and they work great) and the fan is virtually silent (My tank is in bedroom and its fine).

Only think I would change about this is the LED's, It currently has 2 white, I would make it one white one blue or 2 and 2 or 3 and 3 but it doesn't really matter. Also, I would make the legs have some way to "lock" onto the sides but its not a big deal either.

Overall its worth it if you don't care about SPS IMO. I wouldn't pay the $250 that Marine Depot sells it for though, check the selling forum.

Hope this helps.

Goobler
06/21/2008, 07:29 AM
Great! thanks for the advice. I'll probably wind up with the T5 fixture. A little off topic but LJA what are you using for circulation? I was thinking 2x koralia nanos.

mile sq. reefer
06/21/2008, 09:11 AM
I'd get the 150w MH and use a Pheonix 14k lamp. It will keep the clam happy. T5 are not as efficient if they are housed in a fixture w/o individual reflectors.