PDA

View Full Version : need to ID odd critters

sethfloydjr
06/20/2008, 12:50 PM
Im not sure that this is the right section for this question but i couldnt figure out where that might be.

I have some sort of "things" growing in my tank. They are white / translucent, about the size of a grain of rice, and small hairs at one end. I have them in the main tank and somehow in my sump also. In the tank they are attached to the rocks under ledges mostly but some are out in the open on top. in the sump they are attached to various pumps, and glass and even the outside of my skimmer.
Ill try and snap a pic later for a better show but i was wondering if anyone might know right off what it could be. Its not a pineapple sponge like one friend thought, but i do have a small one of those.
As far as i can tell they are not swimming around or moving as they have all stayed in the same place over the last few days.
I only have a few damsels and a YT right now along with some Nassirus snails and some smaller cone snails so i dont really have anything predatory that might eat them. I do have at least 2 bristle worms that I have spotted with a red light at night. (by the way, if im wanting to establish a reef tank later on should I get rid of those?)

Any ideas on what my critter could be?

moderator if this is in the wrong place would you kindly displace me to the correct area :)

sethfloydjr
06/20/2008, 06:19 PM
heres a couple of pics...

http://sethfloydjr.com/images/Aquarium/small001.jpg

http://sethfloydjr.com/images/Aquarium/small002.jpg

anyone know what these are?

ehayden
06/20/2008, 08:07 PM
The people at wet web media call it a sycon sponge.
www.wetwebmedia.com/spongeidfaqs.htm

ehayden
06/20/2008, 08:18 PM
Another spelling is scypha.

sethfloydjr
06/20/2008, 08:43 PM
cool i do believe that is it....thanks

so, since they are down in my sump clinging to the sides of my skimmer and pumps and stuff should i clear them out of there?

romunov
06/20/2008, 11:17 PM
I have always left them alone, as they appear to cause no damage (like clogging),

ehayden
06/22/2008, 03:41 PM
Filter feeders! Hah. Something that sucks in a good way.