PDA

View Full Version : Sandsifting Goby!!

Magga Pie
06/20/2008, 04:39 PM
My sandsifting goby has cleaned almost all of my sandbed. Before I put it in my sandbed was all brown now its white!! I love this little guy!! Hes constantly sifting and stirring up sand though...

indydog1
06/20/2008, 04:41 PM
cool fish, but you will most likely end up with a dead fish. in a newly setup enviornment there isn't enough natural food for the fish. he may live for quite a while, but he will slowly starve to death. sorry to break your heart.

Playa-1
06/20/2008, 04:41 PM
I've been thinking of getting one of those. I think it would make a nice addition to my tank.

Playa-1
06/20/2008, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12788648#post12788648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1
cool fish, but you will most likely end up with a dead fish. in a newly setup enviornment there isn't enough natural food for the fish. he may live for quite a while, but he will slowly starve to death. sorry to break your heart.

Party pooper :(

joshalicialtjt
06/20/2008, 04:43 PM
im against them in my setups just because I like to have clams, plates, and brains and the little jerks are always tossing sand on them lol. I have quite a dsb but use cucumbers and various snails or cowries to take care of it for me:)

Magga Pie
06/20/2008, 04:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12788648#post12788648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1

Well I hope he doesn't die he is fun to watch. Lots of personality he has my whole tank to himself he's loving it!!

indydog1
06/20/2008, 05:03 PM
i know they are awesome fish. i love how they munch on the sand and it falls from the gills. it is very cool, i didn't mean to be a party pooper, but your substrate probably will not sustain his life properly. keep him well fed and best of luck.

Ronny#66
06/20/2008, 05:05 PM
Whats a cowrie ?

Ronny#66
06/20/2008, 05:06 PM
I had one he jumped out of tank. hated him at first he made a mess butt settled down after a while.

Magga Pie
06/20/2008, 05:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12788766#post12788766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by indydog1
i know they are awesome fish. i love how they munch on the sand and it falls from the gills. it is very cool, i didn't mean to be a party pooper, but your substrate probably will not sustain his life properly. keep him well fed and best of luck.

Whats the best food to feed him?

joshalicialtjt
06/20/2008, 05:08 PM
cowrie like well the most popular is the tiger cowrie. check out google images for one. Its pretty sweet but if your rocks arent in place they dont mind redecorating so much lol

beetlenut33
06/20/2008, 05:09 PM

My sand sifting diamond goby eats new life pellets, if you feed him, I don't think he will die..... Mine has been alive for a year already....

SteveJakubiec
06/20/2008, 05:25 PM
I have a bullet goby (Sand sifter as well), and I absolutely love him. he has so much character and is like an "in your face" fish. He nudges my arm when I am doing something inside the tank, and I think it's really cute. He keeps my sand sparkly white. Also, he eats flake food, so I don't think he'll die.

stuccodude
06/20/2008, 05:37 PM
mine eats whatever food i put in there like everyone else, is that normal. my tanks established but if it wasnt i would think he would live a long fish life eating mysis and pellets. and YES he is a worker

kookerson
06/20/2008, 05:43 PM

This just doesnt sound right to me........gobies arent like dragonetts and pipefish that pretty much require live food, my experience with gobies has always showed me that they will take all kinds of foods. If it does die from being in a new setup, its not going to be from starvation (if fed properly), but just from being in a new setup is reason enough.

Magga Pie
06/20/2008, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12788966#post12788966 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kookerson
This just doesnt sound right to me........gobies arent like dragonetts and pipefish that pretty much require live food, my experience with gobies has always showed me that they will take all kinds of foods. If it does die from being in a new setup, its not going to be from starvation (if fed properly), but just from being in a new setup is reason enough.

Well it has alot to eat in my tank so thats good. My sand is looking much better without all the detritus on it.

jallen100
06/20/2008, 06:07 PM
I have a pair of yellow headed gobies and they make the biggest mess in my tank but they do keep my sand white. I feed mine Mysis and whatever they get out of the sand.

ROB2005
06/20/2008, 07:15 PM
Just keep their bellies fat with food, and you will have a long term helper of your sandbed. Get one of the gobies that sift sand while sitting on the sand floor. The Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby is notorious for gobbling up a mouthful of sand and swimming up to the top of the tank sprinkling sand on inhabitants below.

Magga Pie
06/20/2008, 07:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12789505#post12789505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ROB2005
Just keep their bellies fat with food, and you will have a long term helper of your sandbed. Get one of the gobies that sift sand while sitting on the sand floor. The Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby is notorious for gobbling up a mouthful of sand and swimming up to the top of the tank sprinkling sand on inhabitants below.

lol Im not sure what kind of Goby he is. He is white with a black spot on his fin. And he has 3 neon blue dots on each side of its face...