PDA

View Full Version : shroom tank compatability

JNye
06/21/2008, 10:45 AM
I started up a shroom tank and I plan on keeping all kinds of shrooms in there, including florida rics, yuma, and any other corallimorph i like. Do i need to keep these guys from touching or can i just put all different types wherever I want. I would like to not have to worry about placement, just let them grow over and around each other, but I don't want to have any one particular(strongest mushroom), just kill things in its path.

JMCAquarium
06/21/2008, 09:39 PM
You bring up a good point I've never had issues with shrooms touching each other but, I have had more dominate shrooms over grow and kill others or smother them to the point the shrivel up and won't "bloom" properly. At this point cut the head of the dominate shroom off about mid way down the stalk leaving the foot in place as it will soon sprout a new head and re-grow give amble time for the weaker shroom to grow out to fight off it's neighbor. As for the head you cut off I let mine float the tank until they find a new home eon there own but you can attach it to something using the following method.

JMCAquarium
06/21/2008, 09:41 PM
Get a small glad ware container from the store drill a truck load of holes into it drop in what you want it to stick to (corse sand, small LR peices, frag disc etc.) then toss the shroom in and cover with bridal mesh or panty hose hold it down with rubber band. Every three to four days check it and clean out container until it sticks.
I do this when I prop my shrooms , rics and it works great. but, somtimes it decides to stick to the contianer it's self rather then the rock at this point peel it off and try agian. or cut the container with shroom attached and mount to the rock sooner or later it will "walk" off on it's own then pop the plastic off.
This works well for unmounted Zoa's as well.