PDA

View Full Version : Compatability ?????????

agreeive?fish
06/21/2008, 11:03 AM
I have an ~2ft banded cat shark ... i have an oprotunity to get a remora,,as best i can determine it is the "slender sucker fish" will these two be compatable.. if not i have other tanks with drawf angels, larhe angels, tangs,scat,columbian sharks and lunnar wrasse..i can move fish around if needed which fish would you NOT put with the remora

airinhere
06/21/2008, 11:50 AM
I would seperate it from anything that will fit in its mouth. I have seen Remoras that were very large at some LFS and huge ones while diving.

Arent Scat supposed to be brackish water fish?

Aquarist007
06/21/2008, 11:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12792804#post12792804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by airinhere
I would seperate it from anything that will fit in its mouth. I have seen Remoras that were very large at some LFS and huge ones while diving.

Arent Scat supposed to be brackish water fish?

if they are a brackish water fish they will adapt. I have and I know many others have black mollies in their refugiums ect. These will do fine in 1.026 salinity as long as they are acclimitized slowly

agreeive?fish
06/21/2008, 12:55 PM
Scat(s) from what i have read do better in high end brackish/ to full marine in adult stage. If iam wrong some one please correct me as i have been known to be wrong in the past (many times in fact).i have blak fin sharks(columbian sharks) scat and mollies in full marine and will have monos some day(maybe as i have a oric batfish now and the momos look alot like the bat fish)

as for the remora i would really like to see it in with my banded cat shark but waiting on compatability replys....i have seen it eating at the lfs..flakes pelets and silversides and it is also in a tank with a small hawk fish (wich iam sure is not good for the hwakfish for long term survival but it dosent seem to bother the hawkfish but that is not by any means proof that it wont snack on the hawkfish tonight)

Aquarist007
06/21/2008, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12793113#post12793113 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agreeive?fish
Scat(s) from what i have read do better in high end brackish/ to full marine in adult stage. If iam wrong some one please correct me as i have been known to be wrong in the past (many times in fact).i have blak fin sharks(columbian sharks) scat and mollies in full marine and will have monos some day(maybe as i have a oric batfish now and the momos look alot like the bat fish)

as for the remora i would really like to see it in with my banded cat shark but waiting on compatability replys....i have seen it eating at the lfs..flakes pelets and silversides and it is also in a tank with a small hawk fish (wich iam sure is not good for the hwakfish for long term survival but it dosent seem to bother the hawkfish but that is not by any means proof that it wont snack on the hawkfish tonight)

I haven't had the experience with the two of them--but I think you have answered your own question--no quarantees
but the chances increase by getting them to feed on other but live and keeping them full;)

agreeive?fish
06/21/2008, 01:08 PM
The main question i am trying to really figure out is this.

Since remora's attach themselfs to sharks/other fish in the wild and according to what limited info i have been able to gather is that the ct shark and remora will be aprox the same general size at adulthood (shrk is a little over 2 feet now and the remora is around a foot now) will the shark end up being a "host" for the remora (wich i dont want the shark to host anything)

agreeive?fish
06/21/2008, 01:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12793137#post12793137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I haven't had the experience with the two of them--but I think you have answered your own question--no quarantees
but the chances increase by getting them to feed on other but live and keeping them full;)

I will NOT buy a fish that is eating only live foods..i refuse to have a fish that eats live foods...i dont agree with "feeder animals" and that goes for any pet in my home weather they swim,crawl,walk,slither,fly or any other means of locomotion

Aquarist007
06/21/2008, 01:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12793188#post12793188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agreeive?fish
I will NOT buy a fish that is eating only live foods..i refuse to have a fish that eats live foods...i dont agree with "feeder animals" and that goes for any pet in my home weather they swim,crawl,walk,slither,fly or any other means of locomotion

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You might want to repost your question in one of the fish forums.
The chances of getting someone that has dealt with a similar situation would be more probable
Sorry I couldn't help more

agreeive?fish
06/21/2008, 01:20 PM
Thats ok.. i know not everybody has every answer for every question..if we did there would be no use for web sites to share info .....

Aquarist007
06/21/2008, 01:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12793218#post12793218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agreeive?fish
Thats ok.. i know not everybody has every answer for every question..if we did there would be no use for web sites to share info .....

You have that right--can't agree with me more
Looking at your tank perhaps you could help me out
I have a sailfin, regal, yellow tang and foxface in a 120gal
They get along great. I want to add one more tang and love the mimic tang. I have read alot of cautions that this tang needs to be on its own--too agressive
What are your thoughts

agreeive?fish
06/21/2008, 01:44 PM
Well i have no experience with the mimic tang and i dont have much knowledge about them as i have not done any research on them becaus they are not on the wife aproved fish list and there are many tangs on the wife aproved list (although i do like the looks of the mimic tang the boss dosent and you know if the wife aint happy nobody is happy) Sorry i wasnt any help

abulgin
06/21/2008, 02:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12792837#post12792837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
if they are a brackish water fish they will adapt. I have and I know many others have black mollies in their refugiums ect. These will do fine in 1.026 salinity as long as they are acclimitized slowly

Capn--I'm just curious. Is there a special reason you keep black mollies in your fuge?

Aquarist007
06/21/2008, 02:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12793428#post12793428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abulgin
Capn--I'm just curious. Is there a special reason you keep black mollies in your fuge?

nostalgic only from 25 years of fresh water aquariums;)

one of the purposes I have read that others keep them is that they supply a good deal of feeder babies once a month for fish that need live food.

kar93
06/21/2008, 02:22 PM
Remora's get big and will follow big sharks and whales to eat the left over food. IE Tiger sharks rip into their food and the Remoras grab all the pieces that come off of the food and the sharks kept in tanks usually take the food whole and Remoras get just as big as those sharks so I would say no.

abulgin
06/21/2008, 07:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12793443#post12793443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
nostalgic only from 25 years of fresh water aquariums;)

one of the purposes I have read that others keep them is that they supply a good deal of feeder babies once a month for fish that need live food.

Interesting, that's what I thought! I'm just wondering whether the mollies would do any damage to the pods and benthic creatures.