PDA

View Full Version : Remora (slender suckerfish) ??????????

agreeive?fish
06/21/2008, 01:31 PM
Anybody have any experience with remora's (the slender sucker fish one as far as i can tell at this point).

I have an oprotunity to get one and it is eating flakes,pellets and frozen silversides (i have personally seen it eat these items at the lfs)

i would like to get it but i need some more info especially concerning the compatability with a banded cat shark.. the shark is a little over 2 foot (which i have ) and the remora is about 1 foot and is at the lfs (i dont want the cat shark to be a host animal for the remora)

any comments ae welcome

welsher7
06/21/2008, 04:11 PM
remoras grow to be huge. I wouldn't buy it.

agreeive?fish
06/21/2008, 05:49 PM
Well thanks for the reply but can i ask what your definition of huge is because huge is subjective to personal opinions as to what huge is to them

TheSaltwaterGuy
06/21/2008, 06:12 PM
Remoras get pretty big, and are pretty active swimmers. I recommend not buying, unless you have a tank in excess of 600g.

LisaD
06/21/2008, 06:19 PM
My understanding (no experience, sorry) is that remoras get 2 to over 3 feet long, have insatiable appetites, and will harass any fish close to their size, trying to attach to it.

Personally, I would not get one. Take a look at WWM, they have some information in a brief article and some FAQ.

rldavisou
06/21/2008, 11:04 PM
I've seen remoras in the ocean off of St Thomas and they were about 1'6" to 2'.

billsreef
06/22/2008, 08:37 AM
They typically will grow to between 2-3 feet depending on species. My experiences with them in aquaria are the same as Lisa's understanding ;) Cool fish, but generally don't make good tank mates for species other than the ones they are normally associated with.