PDA

View Full Version : Wellsophyllia Skeleton Showing

chvynva916
06/21/2008, 06:08 PM
My LFS has a BEAUTIFUL purple/blue/green Wellsophyllia that I'm thinking about purchasing. It looks generally healthy EXCEPT that a small part of its skeleton is showing. What's the consensus about this coral's chances to survive/thrive? I seem to remember the conventional wisdom being that brains with skeletons showing do not survive, but I had a trachyophyllia with a similar amount of skeleton showing survive for about three years before I broke my tank down. Thoughts?

Jay03GT
06/21/2008, 07:45 PM
I've seen them make it with alot of damage before. I hate buying something that is damaged unless you get a real good price. Sometimes they do ok, other times the extra stress does them in.

Phyxius
06/21/2008, 07:54 PM
MY wife got our LFS to sell her one a yr or so ago for dirt cheap with a fair size piece of its skeleton showing on one side. We put it in a QT tank and then into our display and it slowly and nicely recovered. Unless you knew the one side was damaged at one time you couldn't tell. Its really hit and miss and more with the coral itself if its going to survive.
Unfortunately about 6 weeks ago when we were gone on trip a MJ mount broke of a magnet and let it fall into it for a weekend causing more damage than it could recover from this time :(

chvynva916
06/21/2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I generally hate to buy anything but the healthiest corals (sick, cheap corals can be such sucker purchases :-)), but this thing is exactly the coral I want in the tank, and it looks healthy but for the exposed skeleton (the flesh including that surrounding the exposure is inflated and full).

I think I'm going for it. I'll post pics :-).

Jay03GT
06/21/2008, 10:29 PM
some times you have to go for it. One of my nicer brains was one I decided to take a chance on.