PDA

View Full Version : Some SPS Help Please

lilfishbigreef
06/22/2008, 07:49 AM
Yes there is an SPS question in here :D

Hello to all in the Reefing world,

as stated, i am new to nanos but not to reefing

i am planning my Nano build but i have a few questions

i purchased a 24g AP without a hood, i will be buying a Current outer obrit 150W MH pendant for it and leave it with an open top.

ofcourse , how it is in the reefing world, my original plan was just to have a stock Nano for us to enjoy since i sold off my larger system BUT that has slightly change (NOT A BIG SURPRISE! )

i now want to do 2 Nanos side by side, the 24g AP mainly SPS and another similar tank around 20g only for Anenomes with T5's

i wanted to tie them into 1 system, with a single sump/skimmer/return pump with split returns with valves to control the flow sperately for each tank (or maybe 2 seperate pumps 1 for each)

i plan to have them on 1 stand with an ATO and so on...

here finally come my questions:

MOST IMPORTANTLY, is this a good idea?

i know the water quality requirements for SPS, but i wonder will having if an Anenome dedicated tank with clowns on the same system would be a bad idea? will it hinder the health of the SPS or vise versa?

also what is the best way to do an overflow in the 24g AP?

i would really like to do a sump so i can minimize the clutter behind the tank, i also prefer full size skimmers

is there something i've overlooked?

any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Emilio

DevilBoy
06/22/2008, 09:26 AM
if i remember right the APs have built in overflows. So i am guessing you would just have to drill it for the bulkheads.

As for the anemones and SPS i dont see a reason why they wouldnt be ok

sprite
06/22/2008, 09:35 AM
"MOST IMPORTANTLY, is this a good idea?"

its not a bad 1 but you could of saved some money just using 2 20high tanks. by tieing them together your defeating the purpose of an all-in-one

"i know the water quality requirements for SPS, but i wonder will having if an Anenome dedicated tank with clowns on the same system would be a bad idea? will it hinder the health of the SPS or vise versa?'

should have little effect if feeding is kept in check..(not over feeding ect.)

"also what is the best way to do an overflow in the 24g AP?"

some ppl removed false wall and drilled the back of them

hope ive helped some. i also have a ap24 with all sps

lilfishbigreef
06/22/2008, 09:41 AM
i dont want to drill the tank, i think i have seen external oveflow boxes that are small enough to fit in the back. i am still researching it

i dont think i have seen many mainly SPS tanks with Nems, so i was wondering about if any ill efects from the 2 different species being in the same water column and would it be worse doing it in such a small system with a total water volume of about 50 gallons

sprite
06/22/2008, 09:43 AM
the big reason you dont see many nems in sps tanks because they may decide to start wandering and rearranging the tank. i also read that they will sting when they touch sps also

some links.... http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1356580&highlight=anemones

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1261306&highlight=anemones

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1211328&highlight=anemones

lilfishbigreef
06/22/2008, 09:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12797501#post12797501 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sprite
"MOST IMPORTANTLY, is this a good idea?"

its not a bad 1 but you could of saved some money just using 2 20high tanks. by tieing them together your defeating the purpose of an all-in-one

"i know the water quality requirements for SPS, but i wonder will having if an Anenome dedicated tank with clowns on the same system would be a bad idea? will it hinder the health of the SPS or vise versa?'

should have little effect if feeding is kept in check..(not over feeding ect.)

"also what is the best way to do an overflow in the 24g AP?"

some ppl removed false wall and drilled the back of them

hope ive helped some. i also have a ap24 with all sps

i plan on having a good skimmer, my hopes are that even though i will be feeding 1 tank withs nems (with silversides from time to time) and Clowns (there will also be fish in the SPS tank but not many ) that skimming and filtration will maintain my water quality for SPS. since the water from the nem tank will go thru all of the filtration and skimmer before returning back to both tanks, so i wont be feeding too much in the SPS tank. is this wishful thinking?

i am just worried that if there is something i dont know about SPS and Anenomes that i should know about

as for saving money on the tanks, i got a really good deal :D

lilfishbigreef
06/22/2008, 10:12 AM
SPRITE, thanks so much for the links THEY WERE EXTREMELY HELPFUL

i apologize that the answers to my questions were out there and i did not take the time to find them

Lokks like i am on the tright track with the 2 tanks idead, i love both SPS and Anenomes but have suffered the same fake of the Nems taking a walk. i have never done an SPS tank only, i had a mixed reef but did not know if there were any consequences of doing them in such a small water volume in the same system. like 3 or 4 Different Nmes in 1 tank and SPS in the other

sprite
06/22/2008, 10:20 AM
glad i could help