PDA

View Full Version : Sick Powdered Brown Tang

KLfish
06/22/2008, 12:05 PM
We have a dying powdered brown tang, young, have had him 4 months, very active, eating well, were gone to Coral Conference and came home to find him, lethargic last night, today he is on the bottom, breathing hard, we have him in 10 gal. isolation tank with pump, heater, and treated the isolation tank with Melafix. He has darkened area internal towards top front of his body. Lost a chromis last week that had darkening internal as if bleeding inside. Should we do a freshwater dip, or antibiotics? We have another chromis inside the rocks that has left the school and think it may be sick also. Maybe the chromis brought in disease because the water parameters have been zero for months, we just retested ammonia and N2 both zero, PH is 8.2 as usual, temp is 78, we do 10% water changes every week. We did have a break out of red slime and tremendous brown/green hair algae in the past week, also noticed a foul smell a few days ago, cleaned all filters and it went away. Recently increases our no. snails and hermits otherwise the last change was adding to the chromis 2 weeks ago.

ssavader
06/22/2008, 08:40 PM
KLfish, sorry to say that I have never had a fish recover from the "blotchy" coloration stage of disease. I am not sure of the exact physiology of the response, but perhaps someone else does. It seems to me that this is a sign to start planning for the worse.