PDA

View Full Version : overflow tube, going down, then up?

areze
06/22/2008, 06:38 PM
the fish tank is on 1 side of a wall, plumbing into the room behind it, the sump is on the opposite wall of that room. what is the best way to route the overflow? Im thinking go down to the floor, and then back up to the sump? in my head, it works, long as the end result of the sump is below the tank level... but it wouldnt be "gravity" fed.

I cant figure any way not to have it go back up though...

areze
06/22/2008, 09:39 PM
maybe some things are better illustrated

http://www.rasecreations.com/hostimages/sumprun.jpg

thats 1 option, run the return all the way around the room, Id probably slope the whole run down a few degrees to help it along, but its a long run. alternative would be to head straight south with it out of the tank, along the floor(there will be a false floor for wiring and other plumbing runs), but on the other side of the room, it would have to go back up to get over into the tank. that means standing water.

I thought about putting the sump under the tank, but that doesnt solve the problem, the equipment is going to be on the other side of the room no matter what, the water can get pumped over there fine, but its gotta get back... which just leads to numerous issues of the same run.

das75
06/22/2008, 10:39 PM
Can't understand why running a line lower than the sump then up to empty wouldn't work either.

tundra1000
06/23/2008, 12:29 AM
Should work fine, Thats how I did water changes on my 54g. The only thing you need to worry about is the flowrate. The closer the 2 water levels are the less pressure there is on the upside and flow will slow way down so you still want as much of a height difference as you can get if you are going do run it this way.

areze
06/23/2008, 07:18 PM
yeah, the height difference will unfortunatly be minimal. Im figuring about 3' off the ground for the display, and if the sump is on the ground, it leaves me 1.5' from the bottom of the display to the top of the sump.

the concern about down to the floor and back up, anything solid that enters the overflow tube will stay in there, there is absolutely no way it would carry itself straight up and into the sump. ruitine checks of the pipe would be nescessary to remove any sand or shells that get in.

it might be the best way about it though... just put a union on both ends, be careful about mesh over the overflows to keep shells and fish out and clean the tube every few months.

going all the way around the room may be "smart", but no gaurentees there either, not enough slope to get alot of flow going.