PDA

View Full Version : Help ID w/ ricordea please:)

Lunabud74
06/22/2008, 09:28 PM
I am assuming this is a ricordea. Picked it up several months ago at a LFS as a miscellaneous mushroom. I was hoping to find out what kind of ricordea it might be as I don't know a whole lot about mushrooms.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/Lunabud74/SF0yrF4y3HI/AAAAAAAAAYg/EMPisggXGr0/ricordia.jpg

Lotus99
06/22/2008, 11:06 PM
The pic didn't show up for me, but you can see it at this link: http://lh4.ggpht.com/Lunabud74/SF0yrF4y3HI/AAAAAAAAAYg/EMPisggXGr0/ricordia.jpg

It looks like a bleached R. yuma to me.

Lunabud74
06/23/2008, 06:22 AM
Incase it is not showing up, here is a link to the picture online.

ricordea pic (http://bp1.blogger.com/_mzWp2H4EHao/SF0yrF4y3HI/AAAAAAAAAYg/XkrNC1q9cSk/s1600-h/ricordia.jpg)

RicksReefs
06/23/2008, 07:50 AM
yup, bleached yuma.

Lunabud74
06/23/2008, 08:42 AM
OK, so by bleached, I assume that means it needs to be moved to a more appropriate area of the tank? I had them in my 29 gallon under pc lighting for about a month before moving them to the 75 gallon. I have 2 250MH lights and they are placed about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions to a more appropriate placement to keep them from dying? They have been where they are for about 1 week and are always open as they were in this pic where as in the 29 gallon they were kind of shriveled up most of the time and did not look good.

Jay03GT
06/23/2008, 10:30 AM
I would move them down to the bottom. I'm not sure how deep a 75 is but my 120 is 24" deep and all my yuma's seem pretty happy down at the bottom, at most 3"off the sandbed which is 2" deep. I even have a couple that are shaded and happy. I also have 250w MH lighting.

Also make sure they aren't getting much direct flow, that will make them recede as well. Also could try to target feed them a bit.

Lunabud74
06/23/2008, 11:06 AM
What would you suggest for target feeding? I have baby brine, mysis, krill and few commercial mixes. My Hairy mushrooms at the same height readily engulf the mysis and I have tried targeting a few on the yumas, but they don't seem to care to eat it.

Nothing really gets direct water flow as I have the rotating heads on all the pumps and powerheads. But I can try moving it to one of my open caves for a week or two to see how it behaves in that setting.

Lunabud74
06/23/2008, 11:06 AM
Forgot to say thanks for all the help so far:)

Jay03GT
06/23/2008, 06:18 PM
I can't honestly say I ever target fed mine, but they do seem to catch stuff at night, small pods I've always figured. Maybe they would eat cyclopeeze? I think though that if they aren't ready to eat they won't accept it. For now I'd just get them down at the bottom of the tank and see what they do from there. Once they get there color back try different placements to see if their color improves.

hexedagain
06/23/2008, 08:21 PM
I suggest moving it down low under MH, and try for a moderate flow on it. Anything too strong might cause it to remove itself from the rock. Maybe try to shade it a little until it gets used to the MH.
I feed my yumas cyclopeez and rotifers. I cannot say I have ever seen them actually eat any of it though. LOL.

phathead
06/23/2008, 10:08 PM
One way you can always tell wether it is yuma or florida is that the bubbles will run in lines sometimes all of them or just a few rows those are yumas. Florida rics will not run in straight lines with there bubbles. I personally hate yumas I have a 75g all floridas it is sweet. Although there are some insane colored yuma's.

RicksReefs
06/23/2008, 10:12 PM
easiest way is that yumas have 'bubbles' on the mouth where florida do not.

Lunabud74
06/24/2008, 11:43 AM
Yuma moved. I thought it was a Yuma when I bought it, but wanted to check and make sure;) I noticed that the little yuma on the rock which was shaded by the big rock has had some color change in the past few days while the larger one still looked the same. I moved them under one of my arch structures so that the light they get is filtered. Hopefully, that will help get them going in the right direction.

Thank you very much for all the help!

Lunabud74
07/24/2008, 09:29 PM
All the good advice is working. I moved the yuma and it is starting to color up nicely. Thank you for all the good advice!

Here is an update. The smaller one darkened first and now the larger one is starting to darken. Will leave them alone probably permanently.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/167632IMG_9213.jpg