PDA

View Full Version : Tank designed around Wavebox

expat701
06/22/2008, 10:06 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of building a tank designed specifically for a wavebox. By this I mean a tank that will produce the best wave with inhabitants that will get the most of the environment.

Firstly, has anyone else built a tank specifically around a wavebox?

I tried searching and found a lot on waveboxs but couldn't find anyone who had started with a wavebox and designed a tank around it.

So far I've come up with the following...

1) Tank will be long, thin, rimless and resonably shallow - 72"L x 14"W x 17"H (I live in Australia and 14" wide is a standard width over here).

2) Internal (maybe external) overflow in the middle of the tank - at the pivot point of the wave. Overflow will be set such as the water level will be at 15" high - allowing for a 2 inch high wave on each end.

3) I'll have the tank built out of 12mm (0.5 inch) glass for strength. Again tank will be rimless.

4) Corals will be chosen for their ability to "sway" back and forth with the wave.

5) I'll pick lots of fish that are real swimmers - to swim with the flow.

6) As the tank will be shallow, I'll use compact flouro or T5 or 3 x 150 watt MH.

7) I'm thinking of having the rock built up high on each end (so high it will be out of the water when the wavebox is not turned on). That way the water will slosh up and down on the rock resembling the edge of the sea where the water meets the land. In the middle of the tank will be some rock piles representing "bommies". I'll use the rock on one end to surround and (completely) hide the wavebox from the front.

That's all I can think of... Any other suggests or ideas would be of huge interest to me.

Slakker
06/22/2008, 11:57 PM
This sounds like an awesome idea...do be sure to post a build thread when you get it started!

xtm
06/23/2008, 01:42 AM
Hi, I'm thinking of building a tank designed specifically for a wavebox. By this I mean a tank that will produce the best wave with inhabitants that will get the most of the environment.

good idea

Firstly, has anyone else built a tank specifically around a wavebox?

I (kinda) did. I built a DIY wavebox and tested them in different tanks. Read my comments and suggestions below, based on my experiences......

1) Tank will be long, thin, rimless and resonably shallow - 72"L x 14"W x 17"H (I live in Australia and 14" wide is a standard width over here).

Long is good... Narrow is preferable for higher crest (more concentration on the center) Rimless is not good unless you want to spill water on the floor. Shallow is also not preferable for making good waves IME.

2) Internal (maybe external) overflow in the middle of the tank - at the pivot point of the wave. Overflow will be set such as the water level will be at 15" high - allowing for a 2 inch high wave on each end.

I suggest a middle external overflow, OR better yet a Calfo style. (coast 2 coast). This way, you always have surface skimming, regardless of the wave position.

3) I'll have the tank built out of 12mm (0.5 inch) glass for strength. Again tank will be rimless.

I suggest Acrylic for strength; Eurobraced.

4) Corals will be chosen for their ability to "sway" back and forth with the wave.

Very soothing. I like this too!

5) I'll pick lots of fish that are real swimmers - to swim with the flow.

Anthias..... Lots of Anthias..

6) As the tank will be shallow, I'll use compact flouro or T5 or 3 x 150 watt MH.

sounds good

7) I'm thinking of having the rock built up high on each end (so high it will be out of the water when the wavebox is not turned on). That way the water will slosh up and down on the rock resembling the edge of the sea where the water meets the land. In the middle of the tank will be some rock piles representing "bommies". I'll use the rock on one end to surround and (completely) hide the wavebox from the front.

Great idea! Like a tidepool.

That's all I can think of... Any other suggests or ideas would be of huge interest to me.

My previous tank was a very deep but narrow 75g, which is 48" long, 15" wide, and 24" tall. Coincidentally, when I built the wavebox, my controller was able to perfectly "tune" to the frequency of this tank, therefore making HUGE waves. Here is the video of it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=W1duSSdjRb4

When I moved to a shallow reef tank which is a 67g (36x24x18), I originally planned to have the wavebox installed externally, and the whole tank will be built around the wavebox. However, that plan never materialized as I needed to build the tank ASAP due to my busy schedule. I later found out that this kind of tank is NOT suitable for a wavebox - at least the way I configured the wavebox controller to run which I described in detail in this thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1411393

Basically, the wider the tank, the harder it is to displace the water. If you read the whole thread above, on the 2nd page we discussed why the wavebox can't be "built into" my new tank.

Hope that helps.. feel free to ask any Q's, maybe I can help.

expat701
06/23/2008, 07:43 PM
XTM,

Thank you for your responses and the links. BTW I'm really enjoying your shallow reef thread.

Your DIY wavebox is amazing. I wished I was that clever, unfortunately I am DIY impaired...

Based on your feedback I'm now thinking Euro braced 72"L x 14" (maybe 15")W x 20"H.

My only remaining question is the middle oveflow. Specifically the water height. If the tank is 20" high and Euro braced, the bracing will take up 1". Should I assume a 2" wave from the wavebox and set the water level on the central overflow to 17"??? That is 20" less 1" for bracing less 2" for wave... 20-3=17????

xtm
06/24/2008, 01:58 AM
expat,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you liked the wavebox DIY!

For your middle overflow, I would just give 1" space under the eurobracing and then drill from there. I think 17" from the bottom is too low.. I'd go 18", no more, no less.

Also, why such a thick eurobrace? 1" brace sounds very thick and overkill, especially for a 20" high tank. :confused:

expat701
06/24/2008, 08:26 PM
XTM,

Thanks for the advice. Euro bracing in Australia is done across the tank and down each side such that it's double thickness (overlapping) in the corners. If the tank were made of 0.5 inch glass and the bracing used the same thickness glass, you would lose a full inch from the total height of the tank. Naturally you could use thinner glass for the braces to reduce their impact.