PDA

View Full Version : Brown algae on corals

dlee300z
06/22/2008, 10:57 PM
I've been getting a diatom bloom on my freaken corals. It first starts off as little brown spots of algae then a couple days later, the coral starts to turn white on the same spot and eventually dies.

I have tried a turkey baster but it wont come off. Do you have to brush it off or is that too extreme? I've tried putting the corals close to the powerheads but it won't come off either.

I am doing 2 week 15% water changes now to get the diatoms under control.

kau_cinta_ku
06/22/2008, 11:00 PM
actually the spots where the alage is on the corals are already dead areas before the alage. most of the time it should just come off with a turkey baster. but best to just frag that area that is dead.

tmz
06/22/2008, 11:29 PM
I agrree , when you get a dead spot on a leather cut it out or the coral will die.

sadielynn
06/23/2008, 05:53 AM
It sounds like it could be a diatom ... We had that issue here but what I found that worked was keeping my cool ....
removing all that I could placing in a dark area and letting them burn off ....I initally brushed them off and then placed them in dark bin with just flow heat and a filter . Going dark for a few days coupled with a couple largish water changes seems to have helped us make a dent in ours
Reduce your lighting and slowly bring back to your normal times also seemed to have helped . They will eventually burn out but they can also choke corals so you may need to brush them off to keep it off of them...You can do this in your tank if you have no where else to put them , it is a matter of exess nutrients that along with H20 changes and lack of lighting will help expidite the burn off , it may take a couple weeks after the dark period to eleviate them all together I also added a few more members to my CUC to help stirr the sand and clean the rocks ... I now also blow the rocks off at water change day weekly you would be surprised at the crap that comes off :) we are about 1.5 week into it and we have made a measureable dent in our war :) Keep on top of it you will win this battle :)