PDA

View Full Version : white base - cool coloration or AEFW damage?

mcliffy2
06/23/2008, 06:40 AM
So I thought I found a cool piece at an LFS (that pre-treats all corals w/ fluke tabs). I thought the white base was quite unusual, and due to its rather even distribution and consistency throughout the coral, I didn't think AEFW. After getting it home and having a closer look, it looks to me more like damage....I've got it soaking in TMPCC right now, but whats the deal...is this AEFW damage or how the coral is naturally colored?

This picture shows why I thought the white base is the natural coloration:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/mcliffy2/SF-ZGLMZnJI/AAAAAAAABgY/jfOe65BBAd4/s800/IMGP2370.JPG

But here it looks like AEFW, should I toss it?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/mcliffy2/SF-ZJJsPzBI/AAAAAAAABgc/WZ46JOHd91o/s800/IMGP2373.JPG

RokleM
06/23/2008, 06:51 AM
It LOOKS like natural coloration mostly in the first picture due to the fact it's lighter everywhere on the coral but the growing tips. However it absolutely looks like some tissue is gone slight left and down in the second picture.

mcliffy2
06/23/2008, 07:25 AM
so after soaking in tmpcc I think I found one lowly flatworm (altho this was the second soaking I did, so maybe there were more in the first). I'm not even sure it is the acro eating kind b/c it is a bit reddish (I'm not even 100% sure its a flatworm, but to my untrained eye it kinda looks like one, attempts to get a pic were unsuccessful).

I inspected thoroughly for eggs and could not find any. Since the LFS treats with fluke tabs, is it possible this is older AEFW damage and that they successfully killed them off?

RokleM
06/23/2008, 07:36 AM
Without seeing it closer, I'd imagine it's hard for us to tell if it's AEFW damage/bites or whether it's just tissue recession due to stress/issues.

mm949
06/23/2008, 07:57 AM
that acro has a white base naturally with purple tips....

trueblackpercula
06/23/2008, 08:13 AM
It looks like something is going on with it. Do you see any AEFW? or my new kick is asternia star fish do you have them? In anycase check the underside of your corals they like to hide there if you have them.
Michael

stunreefer
06/23/2008, 08:26 AM
The second pic seems to show some damage on the underside of the three branches towards the left. The thing that caught my eye is there are two colors present in the shaded areas...a tan and light cream color. This tells me that theres some kind of damage going on there, but it could just be flow/light related. generally if its flow/light there would only be one "oof-color" apparent though.

SDguy
06/23/2008, 08:59 AM
Definite damage on the second pic left of the middle. QT that sucker.

mcliffy2
06/23/2008, 09:35 AM
I've got it in a QT, but all I have for the QT is a PC light (from an old nancube. My guess is that the coral came in with AEFW, and the LFS's fluke tab treatment got most if not all of them. But I'm QTing just to be sure. Will it be ok for a week or so under the PC lighting?

mdt178
06/23/2008, 09:53 AM
Fluke tabs does nothing against the eggs. So if you LFS only treated once, it's quite possible that adult AEFWs were killed and the eggs hatched.

mcliffy2
06/23/2008, 12:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12803917#post12803917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdt178
Fluke tabs does nothing against the eggs. So if you LFS only treated once, it's quite possible that adult AEFWs were killed and the eggs hatched.

I inspected and could not find eggs, but I'm QTing it just in case.

mpoletti
06/23/2008, 01:03 PM
It resembles a crayola table. If you found one AEFW, then you have your answer though. Did you get a picture of it?

The acro will be fine under PC's. One week is still playing with fire.

Takins a second look, I would pop it off the rock. There looks to be some TN towards the bottom. I will never put an acro with a base in my tank.

mm949
06/23/2008, 01:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12803115#post12803115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcliffy2
I'm not even sure it is the acro eating kind b/c it is a bit reddish

.....aefw are clearish/opaque

mcliffy2
06/23/2008, 01:28 PM
Yea, I'm not sure any AEFW came off...the damage looks very much like the pics I've seen. I tried to get a pic of what I thought was it, but couldnt get a decent one...don't think a blurry red/brown blob would help anyone out :)

My best guess at what happened -- it was infected with AEFW. The LFS treated with fluke tabs and killed off the AEFW, but you can still see the damage. That leaves me at the possibility of there being eggs, so it will be QTed for two weeks and observed. If a dip after 2 weeks doesn't turn up any more bad guys then is it safe to put into the DT?

mcliffy2
06/23/2008, 01:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12805154#post12805154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
It resembles a crayola table. If you found one AEFW, then you have your answer though. Did you get a picture of it?

The acro will be fine under PC's. One week is still playing with fire.

Takins a second look, I would pop it off the rock. There looks to be some TN towards the bottom. I will never put an acro with a base in my tank.

It looks like there was some TN at one point, but it also looks as if it was a while ago, and has now healed over. Regardless, do you have an easy way to "pop the coral off"? do you just break it and throw out the encrusted base?

mpoletti
06/23/2008, 02:18 PM
Yep, I just pop it off with a screwdriver and after dipping I find it a new home.