PDA

View Full Version : New Fish

mnash
06/23/2008, 08:59 AM
I lost a blue tang today due to a nasty run in with a closed loop pump intake screen that was ripped. The poor guy was pressed up against it when I woke up this morning. I feel so bad....poor little bugger. :( I am going to fix the intake tube today and do a water change. I am looking to eventually replace this fine well mannered fish with some kind of reef safe colorful fish. Any suggestions. I have a 90 gallon tank with large skimmer, sump/fuge, 2x 250w mh lighting, reeflo snapper closed loop with 8 lockline returns, lots of live rock, and a shallow sand bed. I currently have two clown fish (false percula i think), purple tang, 4 green chromis, lawn mower blenny, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. All are peaceful and happy fish. In the future I would like to get some more sps corals than I have now but that will be down the road. If you think I can have another fish please feel free to make a suggestion.

Thanks for looking,
Mike

scrmbld33
06/23/2008, 09:21 AM
fridmani psuedo, awsome purple color

mnash
06/23/2008, 12:27 PM
Only one suggestion? Does anybody think I would be over stocked? How about an Emperor Angel? Then I would have an excuse to upgrade my tank in a few years!

DrBegalke
06/23/2008, 12:32 PM
Firefish... I would go with something small as you are planning on more SPS down the road, so lighter bioload will help...

kmf507
06/23/2008, 12:33 PM
Chances are your fish was sick to start with. A healthy fish can pull themselves away from powerhead/closed loop intake.

jubjub
06/23/2008, 01:21 PM
well i dont think a emp angel is reef safe prob would eat any of your corals........

what about a flame angel? is there any colors your looking for in particular...with the tang i would say gettin semi close to maxing out. thought about a cheveron tang?

if its a FO tank ever thought about a moorish idol?

mnash
06/23/2008, 03:27 PM
kmf507 the fish was very sick at one time. When I had him in qt with a flame and a copperband he developed the worst ich I have ever seen. I felt horrible so I treated him with the low salinity treatment for 8 weeks. He and all of the other fish in the qt were doing great and the copperband butterfly was even eating well. When I moved the fish to the DT the small flame angle (healthiest fish I have ever seen with the most beautiful fins) got bullied to death by the two (never before agressive) clowns. A week passed and the Copperband wasn't eating. I tried everything but he just wasn't adjusting to the new tank well. He died and I was left with one very cool and tough blue tang. Today he mysteriously bit the big one on the tube....... I am so sad. The low bioload thing sounds good but it seems as my tank is not even close to overloaded. I love blue as does my dad (he chose the blue tang, which makes me feel worse) so that is why I am interested in the emporer angel. I also love the personality of larger angelfish.

Slakker
06/23/2008, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12805280#post12805280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jubjubrsx
if its a FO tank ever thought about a moorish idol?

...what?

mnash
06/23/2008, 03:33 PM
After losing all of the fish that I have lost I don't think I am ready to try and care for a fish that touchey.

Marklu
06/23/2008, 06:11 PM
I would say don't think about a moorish idol. Difficult to say the least.

Mykel Obvious
06/23/2008, 06:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12803716#post12803716 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scrmbld33
fridmani psuedo, awsome purple color

+1

Very beautiful, and definitely on my list!!!

As you like blue... perhaps look at a MacNeill's/Blue Assessor for a smaller blue fish that is reef safe