PDA

View Full Version : 14g Biocube vs. 12g Nanocube?

redwarrior77
06/23/2008, 11:07 AM
I don't want to start a throwdown here, but, since sadly my original tank idea has fallen through, I'm trying to decide between the 14gallon Oceanic Biocube and the 12 gallon JBJ Nanocube. Here are my criteria...

Upgradable tank - I might someday want to upgrade lighting and add other options to this tank, like a protein skimmer, refugium, etc. I've already gone to a customization site and seen that both tanks seem to have a plethora of options for the future, but I'm not sure which one would work best for me.

Good tank for corals - my main interest is corals. I plan on starting out with softies, but I might someday want to upgrade my lighting for something a bit tricker. I want a tank that will allow me to do so and allow for me to tweak flow and other parameters.

Looks - If you own one of these, did you pick one over the other for a reason? The "hump" on the lid of the nano cube looks a little strange to me...is there a reason for it that makes it desirable? (i.e. better lights or fans needing the extra room?)

If you own one of these, why did you pick one over the other? I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice with this investment and I appreciate your help!:o

cherubfish pair
06/23/2008, 07:44 PM
In tanks that small you can have about two fish max, so plan carefully.

dallemand
06/23/2008, 11:16 PM
i just chose the 14gal bc because of the wet dry filter instead of the 3 stage filter and the extra 2 gal. I set it up 3 days ago and am very happy so far.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/507/193675Copy_of_6_21_08_Day2__11_.JPG http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/193675Copy_of_6_21_08_Day2__1_.JPG

El Camaron
06/24/2008, 09:32 AM
I have a biocube 29 which i love, this weekend i was given a free 12 gallon nanocube deluxe and i have to say that it is pretty nice, i dont think its as nice as the biocube but it will do what you want it to. Dont worry about wet dry filtration, most likelly you will end up taking the bioballs out.

redwarrior77
06/24/2008, 12:04 PM
I went with the biocube. My deciding factor was there seemed to be more mods out there for the biocube vs. the nanocube. One of the first things I plan on doing is tossing the bioballs and the sponge filter and buying filter floss and putting live rock rubble in there and then some kind of lighting for a refugium. :D

cherubfish pair
07/03/2008, 07:36 PM
redwarrior77, how is the biocube now?