PDA

View Full Version : Side by side tank move, how best to acclimate?

Ccondo
06/23/2008, 03:28 PM
So my new Neo 185 is coming Wednesday. I plan on plumbing the tank and getting it situated and filling it 1/2 way with freshly made water. I will then siphon off as much water as I can as I move my critters/rock/sps from my neighboring 120 to my new tank. Question... If I match the salinity and temp how carefully do I need to acclimate various animals. For fish do I catch and release in the new tank? Bag & float? Drip acclimate? That question also goes for the coral. And lastly do I need to acclimate the rock somehow or can I pick up and drop into new tank?
Thanks-CJ

bach2pilot
06/23/2008, 05:41 PM
I think if you match the parameters between the two, it shouldn't be an issue at all. Just drag and drop.
I would fill up the new tank with as much "old water" as you can, transfer everything you can, then top off with new...It will just be like a 50% water change.
A few months ago I tore down my whole system to drill and put in a coast to coast. My stuff sat in rubbermaid tubs for hours until I could re-fill my tank. I didn't lose a single coral head or fish (despite the fact the temp dropped about 8 degrees).
The only casualty was my coralline algae. If your live rocks dry out at all your coralline will probably die off.
I think a bigger issue could be filtration. What are you running now? Are you just switching it over? Or are you setting up something new? (I had an established refugium that I re-plumbed and re-connected.)

Ccondo
06/23/2008, 05:48 PM
I am going from a crappy ASM G4 skimmer with fuge to a Bubble King Supermarin 250, drip tray for mechanical filtration and phosphate reactor with rowaphos. Currently nitrate and PO4 are 0 according to seachem tests ( I do have so hair algae though so there must be something in the water)

bach2pilot
06/23/2008, 05:57 PM
It sounds like you are all set then. Good luck.