PDA

View Full Version : Algae

RandomHero426
06/23/2008, 06:57 PM
I have a massive algae outbreak in my tank, hair algae and also just green on the glass....I have to clean the tank once a day because it is so bad. I have 5 astrea snails, I use RO water and nothing seems to work. The guy at the LFS says to cut down the lighting and I have it off most of the day now. Its been almost a month and nothing much has happened. I dont know what to do now and I have done everything that I can do. I figured that you all would know better than I.

shaginwagon13
06/23/2008, 07:01 PM
have you tried some water changes? When my tank was new I had an algae outbreak and after a week or so with the lights cut back and a few water changes it all went away

RandomHero426
06/23/2008, 07:04 PM
Every other day for the past week. except this past weekend when I was in py.

jph
06/23/2008, 09:28 PM
how much (and what) are you feeding?
how much are you skimming?

J.

RandomHero426
06/24/2008, 07:20 PM
I feed 2 times daily just a small pinch each time, and i use a HOB bio wheel

BeesGoneWild
06/24/2008, 10:54 PM
Random hero check this link out. Heres 15 things you can do to help fight algae.

http://www.brettsreef.com/index.php/tips-on-battling-nuisance-algae-in-the-marine-aquarium/

grewbek
06/25/2008, 05:38 AM
Unfortunately the hair algae will need to be physically removed. Look at this article from Melev. I used his method, and it works. It ain't easy, but it works

http://www.melevsreef.com/gha.html

In the meantime, go out and buy a bunch of the blue-legged hermits (like 4/gallon which will seem like too many at the time) and dump them into your tank. Then do a normal water change, and leave the lights in your tank off for 3 days. Don't worry, there are cloudy days in the ocean too so your corals will be fine. Your fish will still be active so feed them like normal. On the 4th day, just run your actinics, and on the 5th day let your lights come back on like normal. Voila, your non-hair algae is under control! The hermits will help clean up your algae, then you can trade them to another reefer or put them in your sump for the next time or sell them back to your LFS. If you keep them, the breed and put out tons of fry a few times a month which is excellent free food! Hope this helps.

jph
06/25/2008, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12815204#post12815204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RandomHero426
I feed 2 times daily just a small pinch each time, and i use a HOB bio wheel

cut down on the feeding.
and your bio wheel is probably not helping you either. possibly doing more bad than good.

try to invest in a good skimmer, it will help your tank a lot.

J.