PDA

View Full Version : Majano anemones OUTBREAK!

andy65
06/23/2008, 07:54 PM
We have been trying to fight them for a few weeks now. There is over 100 of them in our 90g reef. They have not done much to any of the coral,they are just getting out of hand and are EVERYWHERE.
Most of the LR has a big coral of some sort on it,so taking it out of the tank to flame it is not really going to work.

We tried Kalk paste, the new Aiptasia-X, and boiling RO water.

The RO water worked but I had to inject it into the thing. I am thinking of doing the same thing with the Aiptasia-X. We are thinking about going with a raccoon butterfly,but there is some coral that we like.

Can anyone think of a way of getting them OUT.

Thanks

joshallan86
06/23/2008, 08:03 PM
what do majano anemones look like?

CoralCaps
06/23/2008, 08:41 PM
Melev's Reef (http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/bta/not/majano.html)

Check the link above. I've actually seen LFS's sell these as reef safe anemones!

SweetE
06/24/2008, 05:56 PM
I had the same problem. First, Aiptasia that slowly took over and then Majano's that took over the Aiptasia's and the entire tank. I literally had thousands in the tank. I tried Joe's Juice numerous times but they kept coming back. After doing a bunch of research I finally decided to get a Double Saddle Butterflyfish (Chaetodon ulietensis). I took out the few remaining corals that hadn't been killed by the anemones and put them in my refugium before I introduced the butterfly. It took him about a week to start eating the anemones and within a month they were all gone.

The downside is I tried to introduce a few corals and he immediately started to eat them. However, the upside is that my wife really likes the fish and suggested that I set up another tank for the Butterfly, so I just set up a 70 gallon Tenecor that will be fish only.

irishrose302
06/25/2008, 07:48 PM
my reef also was over ran with majano and I had to resort to drastic measures. I put a klein's butterfly in and within a week it was mowing down majano, aptasia! it did pick at my zoa's but nothing else. when it was done I moved the fish to my fuge just in case of another outbreak.

Kep
06/25/2008, 07:55 PM
Persistence is the key. There is no quick fix if you want to keep your corals in there. Kalk paste every other day for months will do it. Otherwise put in the Chaetodon ulietensis, that will definitely clean up the problem, but depending on the individual, corals will be eaten/destroyed/stressed.

K' Family Reef
06/25/2008, 11:09 PM
'majanos from hell' thread from the sps forum

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1202166&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

FlyinggFish
06/26/2008, 12:04 PM
Why would you want to get rid of them? They're pretty.

FlyinggFish
06/26/2008, 12:09 PM
Oh wait, nevermind. Sorry to hear about those anemones.

reefman30
06/26/2008, 12:49 PM
I got a few of these that hitchhiked in on a coral. I just used super glue gel and covered each one with a glob of gel so that the glob touched rock all around the mojano. Sealed them under a glob of super glue. Killed em all first time. I am not sure if you can do this without taking out the rock though. :(

bubbly
06/26/2008, 09:46 PM
I just found a majano and put kalk paste on it (first time using kalk paste)

That was last night -- today I don't see it - did it just up and move? Does the kalk paste affect them so little or do they dissolve if it works?

He was motionless for hours after I applied it.

I see another one, and I actually want to collect it for an "unkillable" "reef jar" for a friend. The only inhabitants will be bristle worms, aiptasia, majano, and chaeto (with a little LR and sand).

How do I collect one without killing it or spreading bits of him everywhere. If I just cut part of it off and toss it in the jar, will it regenerate?

pwdblue
06/27/2008, 07:53 AM
I had the same problem in my 90 gallon reef tank. My tank was filled with these anemones. They did not bother my corals either but I absolutely wanted to get rid of them.

My LFS recommended that I purchase about 6 Berghia Nudibranchs. The Berghia eat these nuisance anemones, which at first I did not believe. But sure in enough in about 2 weeks my tank had zero anemones. Here is where I purchased the Berghia from http://www.saltyunderground.com/, which also contains information on the Berghia. Once they have finished eating the anemones they usually end up dying because the anemones are there food source. The Berghia are fairly small but I am telling you they do a great job.

pwdblue
06/27/2008, 07:57 AM
Sorry make sure you get rid of the comma after the web address, it should be http://www.saltyunderground.com/

reefman30
06/27/2008, 09:32 AM
Berghia eat only aiptasia. Are you sure you had majano and not aiptasia?

pwdblue
06/27/2008, 10:19 AM
Well when I looked at the picture of the majano I thought that is what I had, but it may have been the aiptasia. Sorry.