PDA

View Full Version : Ricorde=Metal Halide

SoCalLifer
06/23/2008, 08:10 PM
I havent ever kept ricordea under metal halides before and I have a few questions. Heres my tank specs, 20 gallon long with 150 watt mh, two koralia ones and an AC100 fuge as the filtration.
My question is how well will ricordea do under halides? as in color and growth

Basically all Im asking is how youre ricordea have done under MH.

Thanks

phathead
06/23/2008, 10:16 PM
Well here is what I can tell you. I run a 75 gallon all florida ricordea tank nothing else I have had it going for more than 1 1/2 years now. I run 2 175w Hamilton 20k bulbs. The light does effect the ricordeas but it kind of works weird the higher the rics are to the halide the less the color will come out but, they grow alot faster. When you put them near the bottom the color comes out more but they will grow just alittle slower. I average about 1-3 new polyps of each ric colony every month. I also cut all of my rics in order to speed the process but they are never in colony's. So I guess all together I wouldnt worry to much about placement you will see a differrence but not enough to worry about. Now if you use more than 175w MH than you might want to keep them lower. Also my light sits 8" from the water in case you were curious. If you have any more questions or wanna see some pics just drop me a message I would like to see some of your rics too.

SoCalLifer
06/23/2008, 10:31 PM
thank you very much for you're response Im actually getting the rics in a day or two but I'll send you pics once they are acclimated.

KellyPug
06/24/2008, 12:07 PM
I had a green yuma in a 29bc with 150w mh over it. The yuma grew decently big (it's all relative, it grew basically) but never split in this year that I've had it. I had a pink yuma in my 20gal long with 250w mh over it. The ric has produced 3 babies in the maybe 7-8 months I've had it and it's in almost direct light. It seems to be happy when the lights turn on.

I think for my rics, the main thing was getting them attached securely so they are less stressed. They went thru a month or two of being blown around before getting attached somewhere with gentler flow.

SoCalLifer
06/24/2008, 05:14 PM
Thank you and I have super glue and have picked out the perfect spots for the ricordea. Im gonna try an experiment as far as placement in the tank. Im going to put 3 of the same types of rics in the left, middle and right side of the tank and see how they grow. The left side has more flow, the middle had direct light and the right side has less of each. So well see how that turns out.

hexedagain
06/24/2008, 05:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12814396#post12814396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SoCalLifer
Thank you and I have super glue and have picked out the perfect spots for the ricordea. Im gonna try an experiment as far as placement in the tank. Im going to put 3 of the same types of rics in the left, middle and right side of the tank and see how they grow. The left side has more flow, the middle had direct light and the right side has less of each. So well see how that turns out.

Document it with pictures if you can. I would like to follow the outcome on this.

icy1155
06/24/2008, 10:39 PM
What do you keep your yumas under hexedagain? Ive seen some of your collection from the selling foum and ive always wondered since they all seem to have amazing colors.

hexedagain
06/24/2008, 11:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12816602#post12816602 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by icy1155
What do you keep your yumas under hexedagain? Ive seen some of your collection from the selling foum and ive always wondered since they all seem to have amazing colors.

I keep them all under T5 HO lighting.

brandon7491
06/24/2008, 11:01 PM
i have a 29gallon and a 110gallon in the process. The 29gallon that is up has about 30-40rics mostly orange as that is my favorite color on rics. Any ways they are under direct 150watt mh with a 14k phoneix bulb and the orange color pops amazing! On a 20gallon long (30l"x12w"12h") i would definantly try an raise the light with a suspention kit about 12-14" from the water surface. If that is not possible then i would light aclimate them for a week using pieces of screen or fine mesh. Hope this helps

Racing1
06/25/2008, 07:41 AM
Hello, I am wondering the same thing. I started a 20 Long a couple weeks ago and am using it for a frag tank for my rics and blasto's. Is 150 watts of vho enough light or should I add more. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks

SoCalLifer
06/25/2008, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12814644#post12814644 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hexedagain
Document it with pictures if you can. I would like to follow the outcome on this.

I just made a thread and am waiting for the ricordea to arrive. As soon as I get the package, upload the photos and finish the thread I will submit it. It should only be a few more hours until its up.