PDA

View Full Version : What Controller and Why???

BC Sparky
06/23/2008, 08:27 PM
Looking at getting a controller. Would like to control my MH's/ T5's/ moonlights seperate as well as the heaters.

What do you guys/ gals use and why do you like it?

Looking for all the advice possible before taking the plunge.

Mark426
06/23/2008, 08:44 PM
I like the Aquacontroller. I bet its the most popular here. Reason...most flexible programing language....AND...not $1000 like some!

BC Sparky
06/24/2008, 12:17 AM
Any other input?

Playa-1
06/24/2008, 12:55 AM
I'm using the Aquatronica and I highly recommend it.
I do not have experience with other Aquarium controllers, so I couldn't give you advise as to which one is better.
My controller controls Lights, heaters, chiller, It can interface with the pc, You can control it remotely if you want to pay for the upgrade. It monitors ph, Redox, water levels, temp, controls dosing pumps, conductivity, density, water leakage, Supports xy programming. You can easily control multiple tanks with one controller.

http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/

Twz
06/24/2008, 12:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12808381#post12808381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mark426
I like the Aquacontroller. I bet its the most popular here. Reason...most flexible programing language....AND...not $1000 like some!

xtm
06/24/2008, 01:43 AM
RK2 for me.. looks very professional, very easy to use, and reliable. It also allows you to monitor your parameters online.

Also, check out this site for various controller reviews: www.aquariumcontrollers.com

jtma508
06/24/2008, 07:09 AM
I'm an early adopter. I pre-ordered the ReefKeeper Elite. Can't wait to get it up and running.

cbrguy
06/24/2008, 07:21 AM
I am on the list for an RKE as well. Looks like it will be one of the best out there for the price.

landlord
06/24/2008, 07:28 AM
RK2 will do everything you described for a reasonable price.

hyperfocal
06/24/2008, 10:06 AM
I'm using an ACjr. I chose the Neptune Systems products because I wanted the ability to control Tunze Streams. AFAIK, the only other controller family to offer this functionality is the Profilux and it's significantly more expensive. If I could do it over again, I would go with the AC3 instead of the ACjr -- the AC3's ethernet connection is much easier to use than the ACjr's serial port, plus it is much more expandable.

nnn614
06/24/2008, 06:13 PM
RK2 here. Very simple to use. I'm hoping to move to the RKE in the future.

mouscacha
06/24/2008, 06:37 PM
if you can wait, go for the RKE!!! I'm on preorder as well...

snorvich
06/24/2008, 06:37 PM
I use Aquatronica and have no complaints. But RK2 or RKE are very appealing.

BC Sparky
06/26/2008, 08:45 PM
What's the difference between the RK2, RK 3 and the RKE?

Bambalam
06/26/2008, 09:02 PM
Wow. I kinda thought most would say ac jr or ac3. I've been looking around for a controller myself. Gonna tag along.....

BC Sparky
06/26/2008, 09:10 PM
There are so many different options. I think I could figure out which unit would suit my needs but I would like to look into the future without going overboard.

reef_ky
06/26/2008, 09:14 PM
I have been really pleased with the neptune aquacontroller that I have. Great for lights, ozone generator, doser, ph, temp, ect...

BC Sparky
06/26/2008, 09:18 PM
Do you have the AC III or JR?

reef_ky
06/26/2008, 09:19 PM
ac2pro

reef_ky
06/26/2008, 09:20 PM
bc sparky sent you a pm

CeeGee
06/26/2008, 09:41 PM
I have a AC Jr. IMO it works well but you have to replace the temp probe yearly which is a headache as no one stocks it. Funny how a $300 controller has a temp probe that breaks like clockwork yet my $10 coralife digital thermometer continues clunking along after 5 years.

If I had to do it over again I would go for one of the RK models.

BC Sparky
06/26/2008, 10:45 PM
Reef_ky PM'd you back.

Everyone else- are the probes interchangeable between brands or are they brand specific???

BC Sparky
06/26/2008, 10:49 PM
Found this spreadsheet on another string. Hope attachment works

jtma508
06/27/2008, 07:30 AM
FYI for those intesrested in or waiting on the RKE... DA just posted the RKE user manual yesterday.

will16
06/27/2008, 07:56 AM
I use the RK2. Been very happy with it. My only wish is that you could add more channels. The ac3 seems more flexible in programming but I have found that I can do everything I need with the RK2. May sound stupid but the main selling point for me was aesthetics. You can flush mount the RK2 nicely and be able to see temp,ph at a glance. The ac3, I would probably mount out of site inside the stand where that data is not so easily viewable.

Here is mine mounted in the canopy.

http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/96807714.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/96843011.jpg

ChuckLawson
06/27/2008, 08:35 AM
ACIII for me, mostly because of the ethernet -- the whole place is wired for ethernet anyway, it keeps me from having to fire up Windows to change settings, and best of all, I can have my server monitoring program monitor the controller also...

(Some days it's good to be a geek... :-)

BC Sparky
06/27/2008, 10:29 AM
Will- that certainly looks good!

jimwat
06/27/2008, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12832528#post12832528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChuckLawson
ACIII for me, mostly because of the ethernet -- the whole place is wired for ethernet anyway, it keeps me from having to fire up Windows to change settings, and best of all, I can have my server monitoring program monitor the controller also...

(Some days it's good to be a geek... :-) Same here.

I have everything (pumps, lights, dosers, fans, etc.) on my tank controller through the AC3. I can monitor and adjust all of settings from any place with internet access. I am most impressed with the way Neptune has made this product very configurable and expandable.

I do not have any experience with the other controllers.

spleen93
06/27/2008, 04:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12832325#post12832325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by will16
http://www.pbase.com/willgtp/image/96843011.jpg

Will, I seriously hope for your tank's sake, that that's not the actual pH of your tank! :eek2: :p

mouscacha
06/27/2008, 04:21 PM
spleen: only you would notice that =P

will16
06/27/2008, 06:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12835245#post12835245 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spleen93
Will, I seriously hope for your tank's sake, that that's not the actual pH of your tank! :eek2: :p

LOL. No that was when I didn't have the ph probe connected yet. My ph is at 8.2 but thanks for looking out. :)

BC Sparky
06/27/2008, 09:51 PM
Not good enough that you are getting email alerts, now everyone here notices your PH! Better get that probe connected and post another picture soon!

xtm
06/28/2008, 01:05 AM
....... the BEST thing about RK2 is you can monitor your tank from anywhere (as long as you have internet access) even in my car

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/xtm5/reef/cubev2/mycar2.jpg

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/xtm5/reef/cubev2/DSC01049.JPG

mouscacha
06/28/2008, 04:56 AM
Okay. That's just cool!

jtma508
06/28/2008, 07:53 AM
That is BEYOND cool! Reminds me of an episode of the 'Big Bang Theory'. We've geekified ourselves.

BC Sparky
06/28/2008, 10:46 AM
That is unreal, might be a bit complicated for me but... wow!

BC Sparky
06/28/2008, 11:03 AM
Is the RK2 limited to 8 outputs? Or can you expand???

spleen93
06/28/2008, 11:28 AM
RK2 is limited to 8 controllable outlets. You can, of course, use outlet splltters to increase the number of devices to be controlled (to the limit of current draw for the strip (15 amps)) - for instance, on outlet 4, you could put two powerheads on a wavemaker cycle that would both turn on and off together.

It's one of the big draws of the RKE - it's expandable to your heart's content, essentially.

Emster
06/28/2008, 11:52 AM
Well this is really not a controller but I love my sensaphone. It calls me on my cell phone if these things happen.....

Temp to high
Temp to low
Sump water level to high(return pump died)
sump water level too low (leak)
Alarm going off(Water alarm on floor)

Plus I can call it and get readings and listen in with its microphone, also it was very easy to setup trust me if I can do it anyone can, one reason why I have this because I don't think I could figure out how to hook up one of those controllers to the internet. I have a friend that has one and he has had the hardest time trying to get it hooked up and I still don't think he has done it. Spent a lot of money on cables at radio shak and still can't get it hooked up but I think he did get it to email him. I still like my old fashion timers for lights and what not, just reach down and move a pin to change photo period. I can also hook up motion sensors to this thing to let me know if someone is in my house or fire alarm going off (not sure what good that is going to do me) and the list goes on.

tufacody
06/28/2008, 12:57 PM
AC3. I to can monitor it anywhere, and programming extremely easy and versatile.

mlbarry
06/28/2008, 05:09 PM
I have the ac jr. It works well for what I need. However, if I had to choose again I would look into getting something I would look at remotely like the RK2 or something. I am always a little nervous on vacation! Other than that I am happy!

cwegescheide
06/28/2008, 06:35 PM
I like my Neptune ACIII. Easy to set up and connect to the internet and it has saved me a couple times already. Well worth the money. I've got everything controlled with it.

Emmit if you get a neptune lemme know and I'll come down and get you on the internet (provided you have a lynksis wireless router)

puttyman
06/28/2008, 06:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12838072#post12838072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm
....... the BEST thing about RK2 is you can monitor your tank from anywhere (as long as you have internet access) even in my car

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/xtm5/reef/cubev2/mycar2.jpg

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/xtm5/reef/cubev2/DSC01049.JPG

anyone else thinking Night Rider. lol.

jimwat
06/28/2008, 06:41 PM
I'm presently controlling 15 devices on my AC3 (7 on DC8, 8 using X10).

BC Sparky
06/28/2008, 10:00 PM
Does the ACIII have built in wireless capability or do you need to by an upgrade?

Also- I've seen X10 referred to a number of times. Can someone explain???

spleen93
06/29/2008, 04:03 AM
X10 article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard))

I've never had much luck in controlling anything on X10 in my house - too much electrical interference from other devices. Direct outlet control for me!

ChuckLawson
06/29/2008, 09:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12842490#post12842490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BC Sparky
Does the ACIII have built in wireless capability or do you need to by an upgrade?

It has no off-the-shelf wireless capability, just hardwired ethernet. Apparently some people have had good luck using a wireless bridge, like you'd use to hook up a game console wirelessly. The folks in the Neptune Systems sponsor forum here could probably give you the details.

ScottyS
06/29/2008, 09:51 AM
I pre-ordered the RKE and downloaded the manual. I hope the interface is easy to understand. I had hope you'd be able to set parameters via the myReef software, but that wont be out for a while. The manual reads the the Guide for the Recently Dead in the movie Beetlejuice ("The channel will come on when the temperature drops below the target less ½ the hysteresis"). I guess it will be more intuitive once I have it and start using it.

jimwat
06/29/2008, 09:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12844210#post12844210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChuckLawson
Apparently some people have had good luck using a wireless bridge, like you'd use to hook up a game console wirelessly. I have a linksys wireless gaming bridge connected to mine...it's been rock solid!

BC Sparky
06/29/2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks.

The RKE Looks awesome but allot more $$$ then I wanted to spend. I think I'll shop for a ACIII

twon8
06/29/2008, 10:59 AM
I use the aqjr. with great success.

Longchamp
06/29/2008, 11:13 AM
I have an AC Jr, my roommate has an RK2.

The RK2 is much simpler to program, and has a more intuitive interface than the AC Jr. Although, i like how the AC Jr can do seasonal temp and lighting, and givesyou more control over the powerheads. If i had to do it again id get an RK2.

Also, the RK2 unit is much smaller and a bit nicer looking. It gives you a better mounting option and only 1 wire goes to the RK2 (power and signal) with the AC Jr there are ~4 wires going to it which looks kind of bad (Theres PH probe, signal, power, and temp probe). this could be solved easily with heat shrink tubing, but why have to do that?

jimwat
06/30/2008, 12:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12844746#post12844746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Longchamp
The RK2 is much simpler to program, and has a more intuitive interface than the AC Jr. I do not like the interface (manual) on the AC. Programming the AC this way is cumbersome at best. This is not really an issue if you are planning to have the controller network enabled and use the web interface or AquaNotes.

BC Sparky
06/30/2008, 08:37 PM
When does one's head stop spinning? I started out looking at what each comntroller could do- now I'm thinking about looks, mounting options, programming... can't any decision in this hobby be easy!!!!

agoutihead
07/02/2008, 08:44 AM
tagging along

nattarbox
07/02/2008, 09:03 AM
Do you need to use a serial cable / PC to monitor the RK2 remotely? I didn't see any specs on it for ethernet or other options.

Mac guy, but I would like web monitoring for sure. ;)

agoutihead
07/02/2008, 09:38 AM
I am leaning towards the RK2, but I noticed a few things are amiss with the RK2...

1) It says it is not PC programmable - what exactly does this mean?

2) How exactly does this hook up to your computer/internet so that you can remotely view it from any place? i.e. ethernet, usb, etc?

3) The RK2 says it does not allow a probe to be hooked up for calcium? And neither does the RKE - to me this is a big feature, is there any model that does allow this? Or can you some how modify the RK models to accept a calcium probe?

4) Apparently there is no audiable alarm on the RK2... does anyone see having this as a huge advantage?

5) I also notice none of the RK have "Tunze Control" - What exactly is this and is this something I should look into having?

6) The RK2 doesnt have float switch hook ups, but the RKE Does.... how exactly does this work? Isnt the float valve just a regular plug? So how is this an addtional feature that the RKE can offer that the RK2 cant?

xtm
07/02/2008, 10:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12864686#post12864686 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nattarbox
Do you need to use a serial cable / PC to monitor the RK2 remotely? I didn't see any specs on it for ethernet or other options.
Mac guy, but I would like web monitoring for sure. ;)

The Ethernet to Serial converter is included in the RK2 package. The only thing that is NOT included in the package is the splitter.. you can get this from their website for like $10. But pretty much everything you need to monitor online is included.

I am leaning towards the RK2, but I noticed a few things are amiss with the RK2...

1) It says it is not PC programmable - what exactly does this mean?

Means that there is no option to write a script in your PC and upload it to the RK2. All the programming is done in the RK2 unit.

2) How exactly does this hook up to your computer/internet so that you can remotely view it from any place? i.e. ethernet, usb, etc?

RK2 -> ethernet-serial converter -> plugs into your serial port. Then you install the myReef program which monitors the parameters. You will need a static IP which you can sign up for free (dyndns.org) It will install a client that sits on your taskbar so the myReef app constantly pumps data onto the dyndns client... the purpose of the Dyndns account is so you have your own URL that points to your home PC.

3) The RK2 says it does not allow a probe to be hooked up for calcium?

correct

And neither does the RKE - to me this is a big feature, is there any model that does allow this? Or can you some how modify the RK models to accept a calcium probe?

No idea. I wouldn't trust any calcium probe either, but that's just me.

4) Apparently there is no audiable alarm on the RK2... does anyone see having this as a huge advantage?

You mean disadvantage? You can always put a buzzer on one of the channel and have it turn "on" when your parameter exceeds the set point.

5) I also notice none of the RK have "Tunze Control" - What exactly is this and is this something I should look into having?

You can control Tunzes with the RK2.... but only in a wavemaker fashion (e.g. On-OFF in 20 second intervals) Not a true wavemaker like a 7091 singlecontroller of 7095 multicontroller that varies the intensity from 30% to 100%

6) The RK2 doesnt have float switch hook ups, but the RKE Does.... how exactly does this work? Isnt the float valve just a regular plug? So how is this an addtional feature that the RKE can offer that the RK2 cant?

The RK2 does not have any other ports to accommodate additional inputs (like float valves) I like that. Less things that can go wrong.

xtm
07/02/2008, 10:55 AM
For what it's worth, you can also have the RK2 send you a text message..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1201852&highlight=text

It can also send you email alerts
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1330084&highlight=email

You guys should read the Digital Aquatics forum... tons of info there.

agoutihead
07/02/2008, 10:58 AM
Why would you trust other probes, but would not trust a calcium one?

The only other option that I would like, but really dont need is teh audible alarm.

The only thing it would really need to alarm me about would be temp. And if i have a heater and a fan/chiller hooked up, that should take care of any problems.

I think I will end up going with the RK2 just because its priced "reasonable" compared to the RKE

thats nice you can mod the RK2 for texts or emails to take place of an audiable alarm.

Also, doesnt RK allow free software upgrades as the time goes on to keep the RK2 as up to date as possible?

xtm
07/02/2008, 11:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12865418#post12865418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agoutihead
Why would you trust other probes, but would not trust a calcium one?

The only other option that I would like, but really dont need is teh audible alarm.

The only thing it would really need to alarm me about would be temp. And if i have a heater and a fan/chiller hooked up, that should take care of any problems.

I think I will end up going with the RK2 just because its priced "reasonable" compared to the RKE

thats nice you can mod the RK2 for texts or emails to take place of an audiable alarm.

Also, doesnt RK allow free software upgrades as the time goes on to keep the RK2 as up to date as possible?

DA releases firmware updates for the RK2 once in a while. As for the Ca probe, I know two local reefers who are having a tough time calibrating their pinpoint Ca monitor.. and when they do it's always way off compared to Salifert. Plus it's like $300 a pop for the monitor.

nattarbox
07/02/2008, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12865284#post12865284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm
[B]The Ethernet to Serial converter is included in the RK2 package. The only thing that is NOT included in the package is the splitter.. you can get this from their website for like $10. But pretty much everything you need to monitor online is included.

Great news, thanks for the information. I wonder why this isn't clearer on their product page. I was going to go with this controller anyway, thats just some good icing on the cake.