PDA

View Full Version : Euroreef Mesh Mod Question

fred fishstone
06/24/2008, 08:34 AM
I just bought a new impeller and some Enkamat for the Sedra 3500 pump on my old ES5-2. It's skimming so much better with just the new (unmodded) impeller that I'm wondering if the mesh mod is worth the trouble. The old impeller was only a year old.

Fishbulb2
06/24/2008, 09:15 AM
A lot of people have come to the same conclusion regarding the sedra 3500. I've tried it as well and didn't notice any improvement either. The meshmod itself certainly dose help with other pumps though and these improvements have been very well documented (octopus skimmer threads, MSX, BM, ect). So, in this case I think it's just the Sedra 3500.

fred fishstone
06/24/2008, 09:22 AM
I wonder if that just means that the Sedra 3500 impeller is relatively efficient to begin with. I noticed that the pins on the new one were a little longer than those on the old one. Maybe that makes a difference.

Fishbulb2
06/24/2008, 10:03 AM
Perhaps. But then i would just assume that manufactures or other meshwheels (MSX, BM, and BK) would have just come to the same conclusion (convergent skimmer evolution). I imagine it might have something more to do with the pumps power, the volute size, or venturi. FWIW, I read in one of the mesh mod threads that the best mod for the Sedra 3500 was to redo the venturi, although no details were ever given. I find that this pump works well enough stock (RS80) that I'm just not going to mess with it. Definitely post you results though if you find any additional mods.

skimmy
06/24/2008, 11:18 AM
i've meshed many o' sedra 3500, and yes, there is a significant increase over the old style impellar, but the new one is better and pulls a little more air, so yes, not as much of an increase...BUT, it will decrease the bubble size, making it skim a little better. the flip side is that because the rs80 only has a 2.5" neck, if you mesh the new impellar it might make it difficuct to control the foam in that neck. i like to skim wet so i had no issues personally:)
if your old impellar magnet isnt bulging and fat, then you should try meshing the old one and compare it to the new one...:)

fred fishstone
06/24/2008, 01:17 PM
Koraltek, do you use cable ties to secure the mesh?

E.intheC
05/23/2010, 08:32 AM
reviving an old thread, but does anyone else have experience with this? I bought a used ER RS80 and the impeller has some pins missing.. it doesn't skim bad at all, but I figured I may as well give the mesh mod a try before I buy a new impeller.