PDA

View Full Version : Received coral plugs... now what?

Gtstricky
06/24/2008, 11:54 AM
Sorry for the newbie question but I have read all 4 of my reference books and looked around on this site and found no answer.

I have received some plugs of random corals (kind does not really matter).

I have placed them down in my sand bed to acclimate them to the light.

Once that is done I am confused as to what I do with them. Everything I read says to move them to the correct level in the tank (slowly) but do I leave them on the plugs and attach the plugs to my LR or do I take them off the plugs and attach them?

Thanks in advance....

Slakker
06/24/2008, 12:01 PM
I'd leave them on the plug, it will be less stressful for the corals IMO, and many of them will grow to cover/encrust the plug in time as well.

NanoGurl
06/24/2008, 12:45 PM
I agree since you're new at this it will be easier for everyone to just leave them on the plugs and place them where you want them.

atwinparadox2
06/24/2008, 12:51 PM
I agree, being new, I would try to detach and re-attach corals, and you might want to place the plugs wedged somewhere so you can move them if needed. Common newbie mistake is to glue the plugs down then you run into problems if they need to be moved. (but then again one can always say since you're a newbie you may want to glue them down...)

Once you find a spot that the coral is thriving in, then you can always glue them down. Just remember, if you upgrade, and believe me you will want too eventually, if they are glued, you need to be able to get them off the rocks, or you will have to design the new rockwork to your glued corals; which will leave you with limited options. Just an FYI. In the end, it's really your choice.

Gtstricky
06/24/2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone... I will leave them attached.