PDA

View Full Version : trouble fragging kenya trees

cdcq12
06/24/2008, 11:55 AM
I have kenya trees and I cut some frags off and tried to rubberband them to disks but they fell off because the tree disintegrated under the band. I then took the frags and glued them to the disks with superglue but they fell off again. Granted, I used a different glue than normal, they should have stayed on no matter what. Has anybody else found a better way of attaching them to disks or fragging them in general?

jasert39
06/24/2008, 12:28 PM
i just pull them off, put some rubble rock in a tuperware container and place them loose in with the rubble...let me attach on their own.

fatrip
06/24/2008, 12:29 PM
in general for soft corals i like to take the coral an put it in a shot glass with some rubble or a disk and put some wedding vail over it so the frag doesnt blow out. it shoudl attach with in a week or 2.

southbound2008
06/25/2008, 05:57 AM
jasert39 and fatrip have good suggestions.
You can also use a piece of rubble with an indention ,and rubber band or sew it on with a needle and fishing line, at the lowspot on the rubble.
That will keep it from dying off [choking] at the rubber band .

raaden
06/25/2008, 06:37 AM
Kenya trees are definitely one of the worst corals for getting them to attach. One thing is for sure, they will only attach to what they want, and will only attach when they want.

I have a corner of my tank with pretty low flow and I just take the pieces that come off and stick them in the corner in a rubble pile. I have had pretty good results with that, but Jasert39, and fatrip's suggestions are very good as well.

One thing you can also try is taking wedding veil and wrapping the frag against the rock very loosely in the wedding veil. Sort of like tucking the frag into bed. I had success with that for a while, but my rubble pile has been easier since I ran out of wedding veil

southbound2008
06/25/2008, 07:04 AM
I should have added that when sewing them on , keep the in a low flow area or the line will slice right through them .
If they are in good conditions , they should happily attach in 3- 7 days.

oceanparadise1
06/26/2008, 07:13 PM
dont even bother they will just throw there arms off and go every where lol

cdcq12
06/27/2008, 10:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12829407#post12829407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oceanparadise1
dont even bother they will just throw there arms off and go every where lol

Yea I have yet to see it, but i've heard all about it.

fatrip
06/27/2008, 10:58 AM
doesnt happen in some peoples tanks......they just die and melt away in my tank. but i can keep and sps out there...lol...i guess it is kinda a good think that they wont live cause they would probibly try taking over like my xiena if they did...lol...

cdcq12
06/27/2008, 10:59 AM
yea probably so. I see it as an easy profit. If you can find somebody to buy them, then you're all set. They pop off themselves and there you go. Mine just aren't doing it. ;)

Ehgemus
06/29/2008, 08:10 PM
mine frag them self. you can stick them in the sand for a week or two and then glue to a rock.

JRechcygl
07/01/2008, 04:05 PM
Ditto on the bridal veil, make sure its tight yet loose. Too tight and it will cut through the "leg" to loose and well you know. Bridal veil works for so many things!

pepino
07/05/2008, 06:39 AM
i found a easier way, that did work for me i used a toothpick stave the kenya in the body.and then place the toothpick in a rock where you want the kenya tree

Mac Inger
07/06/2008, 01:01 PM
The toothpick worked for me too. I just stuck it to a crevice and wedged a toothpick in there (i did not pierce through the coral) and in a week it was attached.
Now i dont want to derail the thread, but i came in here with a similar question :
I have a prety nice Kenya tree that has grown too much and starting to sting my sps. How would i go about detaching it from its current position ? Should i cut it at the base or try to detach it ?
let me know if im intruding :) and i will start a new thread

ergin