PDA

View Full Version : timeframes

kolosy
06/24/2008, 01:50 PM
so i find myself stalling on getting new inhabitants. in part because i want the tank completely set up equipment-wise (still have to put the final lighting in place, have the crappy single cf-bulb fixture on it now), partly because i don't want to rush... but!

tank is now 3 months old. cycled. NH4 is undetectable, NO2 is < .025ppm, NO3 < 5ppm. i have snails, turbo snails, hermits, a starfish (i'm horrible w/ proper names - sand sifter). algae seems in check, coraline is in place...

at what point can i introduce:

shrimp (peppermint - have some majanos, would rather have a natural solution)

fish

coral (start off with something hardy - mushroom maybe?)

MalHavoc
06/24/2008, 02:15 PM
What sort of fish are you thinking of? You can probably add the shrimp and some of your fish now, but it'd be nice to see a stock list of things you want to keep, mainly for compatibility reasons. Some fish aren't reef safe -- they may eat coral, or your shrimp, etc. What kind of star fish is it? Some star fish aren't fish safe.

I wouldn't add corals until you have your lighting decided on. You'll just end up acclimatizing everything to the new lights.

kolosy
06/24/2008, 02:24 PM
the lighting is decided on. it's a current all-in-one, 4x39w actinic, 2x150MH and 9xblue/9xwhite led.

stocking list... i don't really have a good handle on it right now, and am looking for recs. i know long term i want to have sps and some fish. i'd like to eventually have -

dwarf lion
mandarin goby (i have a fuge w/ chaeto running, so will have the copepods for 'em)
peppermint shrimp
sps
eventually a pair of clowns + host anemone (but not until i'm comfortable with the whole thing)
eventually a clam

i'd like seahorses, but don't know how those play w/ others.

the starfish is a sandsifter. he's been in there for a few weeks. i'm reading that they need a mature sand bed to stay alive, but he seems fine so far...

stocking recommendations are quite welcome.

Aquarist007
06/24/2008, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12813196#post12813196 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kolosy
the lighting is decided on. it's a current all-in-one, 4x39w actinic, 2x150MH and 9xblue/9xwhite led.

stocking list... i don't really have a good handle on it right now, and am looking for recs. i know long term i want to have sps and some fish. i'd like to eventually have -

dwarf lion
mandarin goby (i have a fuge w/ chaeto running, so will have the copepods for 'em)
peppermint shrimp
sps
eventually a pair of clowns + host anemone (but not until i'm comfortable with the whole thing)
eventually a clam

i'd like seahorses, but don't know how those play w/ others.

the starfish is a sandsifter. he's been in there for a few weeks. i'm reading that they need a mature sand bed to stay alive, but he seems fine so far...

stocking recommendations are quite welcome.

your inverts and particular your shrimp will not survive a dwarf lion. the dwarf lion is more suitable for a fowlr tank.

a mandarine goby -- your tank and refugium is not established long enough--wait at least six months

MalHavoc
06/24/2008, 02:30 PM
The lion will probably try to snack on other stuff, and your tank is probably not really big enough for one. I'd pass.

Sea horses are very specialized creatures with specialized dietary requirements. They are difficult in the best of times, and usually need their own tank.

Aquarist007
06/24/2008, 02:33 PM
suggestions for hardy corals to start off with--lps rather then sps

frog spawn
hammer coral
colt coral
kenya tree
zoas
mushrooms
toadstool leather
xenia
pagoda coral

kolosy
06/24/2008, 02:40 PM
thanks guys. shrimp? is the tank theoretically ready for those? and what reef-friendly fish is the tank ready for?

also, the corals listed - those are ones i can start with once the lighting is in place?

snorvich
06/24/2008, 02:55 PM
I agree with MalHavoc. I think shrimp would be fine at this point but be sure that you acclimate them properly as they are very sensitive to differences in pH and salinity. You might look at flasher wrasses as they would be good in your size tank. A shrimp goby pair is always interesting.

kolosy
06/24/2008, 03:37 PM
okay, i'll go on that tangent. what is a good acclimation procedure? also since i don't have an isolated cycled tank and can't do QT for non-fish, is a RO/DI dip something i can do, or will that hurt the shrimp and/or coral?

Fat_Ed
06/24/2008, 03:43 PM
My advice, since yr starting off fresh, is to do the right thing and populate with tank-bred fish. A pair of Bangaiis would be a fantastic first addition.

kolosy
06/24/2008, 03:44 PM
why is that the "right thing?" not arguing, but would like to understanding the reasoning.

Fat_Ed
06/24/2008, 04:16 PM
Because reef destruction from the aquarium trade, which I've seen with my own eyes in Indonesia and Micronesia, is enough to make you throw up. Basically, incredibly poor villagers drop dynamite from their boats onto reefs and then scoop up the dazed survivors to sell to the trade for peanuts. It's a blight on an otherwise wonderful hobby. Not all fish are gathered this way, but since there's no way of tracking how fish get from islands in the Pacific to your LFS, it's a crapshoot that's best avoided.

Fat_Ed
06/24/2008, 04:26 PM
Here's a nice little piece of satire by Eric Borneman on the subject:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04fool/eb/index.php

Aquarist007
06/24/2008, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12813743#post12813743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kolosy
okay, i'll go on that tangent. what is a good acclimation procedure? also since i don't have an isolated cycled tank and can't do QT for non-fish, is a RO/DI dip something i can do, or will that hurt the shrimp and/or coral?

you can set up a quarantine tank in a plasic tote if you want
you will need a heater and a hang on the back filter.
You run the hob filter on your display tank for 3 or 4 days, fill your plastic tote with water from the display tank and then transfer the hob filter over. It will have enough bacteria on it to start cycling the ammonia produced by your fish.

Starting out right--IMO this is how to start out right--qt all fish purchases so you can observe for disease, keep difficult eaters to feed, help unstress fish from their previous capture and care, and they are in the qt if disease shows and you don't have to further stress them out by chasing them all over the display tank with a net
This way you start with a disease free display tank and keep it that way

Aquarist007
06/24/2008, 05:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12813784#post12813784 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fat_Ed
My advice, since yr starting off fresh, is to do the right thing and populate with tank-bred fish. A pair of Bangaiis would be a fantastic first addition.

if one was to do that IMO they would be limited on what they could put in their tanks;)

there are LFS's that buy only from quality sources, sources that they know use proper methods of capture and shipping.
Dr. Fosters has a buying rep that have a forum on RC--he has some interesting and assuring things to say about their fish buying procedures.

otrlynn
06/24/2008, 09:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12813743#post12813743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kolosy

Do not dip shrimp. Inverts are very sensitive to changes in s.g. I'm sure a fresh water dip would kill them. Someone else more experienced may chime in here, but a lot of people do not QT their inverts, just slowly acclimate them to the tank water. Yes, you can dip corals but I don't have a lot of experience with that.

kolosy
06/25/2008, 02:20 PM
thanks guys.

snorvich
06/25/2008, 02:25 PM
For acclimation, check one of the websites e.g. Dr. Foster and Smith or any other. They have written their acclimation process out and you can print it out and use it.

Aquarist007
06/25/2008, 02:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12820435#post12820435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kolosy
thanks guys.

LfS frequently keep their salinity levels at 1.018. If your tank is a t 1.026 then this can be quite a shock to inverts such as ornamental shrimp and species of snails
A quaratine tank is usefull to acclimate them over 12 hours by starting the qt tank salinity at what is in the bag you have brought home. slowly bring up the salinity level over 12 hours.

MalHavoc
06/25/2008, 03:01 PM
If an LFS is keeping their invert tanks at salinities that low, shop elsewhere. The good shops will keep their fish only tanks at one level, and their inverts at another.

Aquarist007
06/25/2008, 05:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12820722#post12820722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MalHavoc
If an LFS is keeping their invert tanks at salinities that low, shop elsewhere. The good shops will keep their fish only tanks at one level, and their inverts at another.

Jason, it is a standard practise to do this is Southern Ontario, its really hard to avoid it.