PDA

View Full Version : Juvi Cherub Angel Q's

Slakker
06/24/2008, 10:09 PM
My LFS has an adorable juvenile Cherub angel (Centropyge argi) in right now that I'm thinking about getting. I've been watching it for the past week and a half, it eats readily and seems healthy enough, no visible signs of parasites or anything, but I have seen him scratch on the rocks/sand a few times. He's very responsive, and quite smart (he's managed to find a gap in the tank divider and has started venturing into the cube next door regularly)

I've spent the time he's been in reading and looking for info on the species and have learned quite a bit, but wanted input from Cherub owners as well.
Link to LA - for clarification of species, just in case. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+455&pcatid=455)

1. How well do most Cherub's behave in the mixed reef? I plan to have a good balance between SPS and LPS in my tank eventually, maintaining a rough 50/50 ratio. I would also like a clam somewhere down the road. I know that it's hit-or-miss with all dwarf angels, but generally speaking, does anyone have an opinion based on personal experience with these guys?

2. I am going to set up my quarantine tank tomorrow (a standard 10g) with the hopes of getting him at the week's end. I was planning moving the sponge out of the AC50 on my established nano into the HOB filter on the QT to add a boost in bio-filtration. Would this be helpful at all? Should I also dig around until I find the ceramic rings for the filter, let them run for a few days in the established tank, and then move them over to the QT?

3. How indicative of a serious problem is the scratching with these fish?

4. If it does end up needing treatment, are they particularly sensitive to Hyposalinity?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. Also, please note that while I mention the nano, the Cherub will be calling my 58g home once it's done cycling.

IFbettas
06/24/2008, 11:54 PM
My friend has one of these angels in his mixed reef aquarium. It doesn't bother anything, anymore. It harrassed several feather dusters, but nothing serious.

As far as scratching goes just keep an eye on the angel to make sure there are no external parasites. If the scratching only happens occasionally then I wouldn't worry too much. If it becomes really frequent I would seek treatment for the fish.

I would give the angel a freshwater dip when I first got it to help get rid of whatever is making it itch. Dwarf angels are not too sensitive to hyposalinity in my experience.

Slakker
06/25/2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the response!

Do you commonly FW dip new fish? It's not something I've ever done, does it work well for you?

Last march when my two clownfish were in hypo I did a lot of reading up on treatments, those commonly used for Ich specifically, and almost everything I read said that freshwater dipping wasn't worth the stress. It had something to do with a sick fish producing a thicker slime coat, which actually acted to protect most of the parasites.

adtravels
06/25/2008, 01:05 AM
I think sd guy had a pair, they smashed his sps I think, I have had one did not really nip much but only had it for a month, before I took my old tank down, I too think they are really great fiah and would have one if it were not for my coral.

Potsy
06/25/2008, 08:40 AM
I had a cherub angel and ended up giving it back because it was the most aggressive little fish I ever had. It would endlessly harass my clownfish and any new additions. 1.5 inches of fury.

Slakker
06/25/2008, 08:44 AM
Jeeze...now I'm starting to think this might not be such a good idea after all!

fewskillz
06/25/2008, 10:24 AM
I loved mine, never had any problems with him. I didn't have any SPS or clams, but he didn't bother the softies or LPS. He was my favorite fish by far. I hope to get one in my new 125 soon.

Slakker
06/25/2008, 11:03 AM
That's good to hear! It sounds like these guys are pretty hit-or-miss, which is what I expected. I haven't heard or read much about them really decimating corals or anything.

I guess if the worst it does is pick at my corals enough to irritate them every once in a while, I can live with that.

fewskillz
06/25/2008, 11:07 AM
A 58 should be large enough that any coral picking will be spread out enough to not irritate the corals too bad. It'd be different in a 15 gallon with only a couple of coral colonies.

Slakker
06/25/2008, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12819045#post12819045 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fewskillz
A 58 should be large enough that any coral picking will be spread out enough to not irritate the corals too bad. It'd be different in a 15 gallon with only a couple of coral colonies.

Well for quite a while it's going to be a 58 with only a couple of coral colonies...stocking with corals will be slow, and as funding allows (which after the initial cost of setup won't be very often, I think...)

jmait769
06/25/2008, 12:50 PM
I’ve had mine for about two years now. They are a very active fish and I love mine. I would however suggest that this be the last fish you add to the tank if possible. He will harass any new additions and is one reason I haven’t added any new fish to my tank. I have a mixed tank as well and have only caught him picking on a pink birdsnest once. Here is a pic of mine!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/jmait769/Can25-1.jpg

Good luck!!

Jay

Slakker
06/25/2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks Jay! Yours looks great.

Did you quarantine it at all? Any specific tips/procedures that you know of for these fish?

Slakker
06/25/2008, 04:27 PM
Bump for input from the afternoon, after work crowd.

IFbettas
06/25/2008, 06:28 PM
I give all of my new fish freshwater dips before they go into quarantine and again before they go into my display tank. Dips are NOT stressful to fish if you do it correctly and make the temperature and Ph the same as the tank you take them out of. I think it is worth the risk getting one of these guys because they are beautiful fish if you get a nice one.

IFbettas
06/25/2008, 06:30 PM
Oh yeah, freshwater dipping has great results for me. I have had to do a lot of dipping lately because my fish got Amyloodinium. The external parasites fall right off after a few minutes in the FW.

nnn614
06/25/2008, 06:58 PM
I had a pair of small Argis with some LPS and softies and nothing was bothered.

jmait769
06/25/2008, 07:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12820223#post12820223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Slakker
Did you quarantine it at all? Any specific tips/procedures that you know of for these fish? Normal QT nothing special. I would just suggest a varied diet. Mine loves almost anything (flake, frozen, etc.) but goes crazy for <a href="http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/15369/product.web" target="_blank">MarineGro</a> medium granules and Nori. I make sure he is well feed to keep him from grazing on the SPS’s. So far I have been lucky but, like you said in an earlier post, they are hit and miss as far as the hard corals go!

Jay

Slakker
06/25/2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks all, I'll be stopping in at the LFS tomorrow to see if they can hold him until friday evening :D

fambrough
06/26/2008, 06:58 AM
I have one in a 40 gallon moderately mixed reef (no acro). Mine does not nip corals. It grazes on the rocks for algae. He's pretty well fed and very active. And he's the only fish in this tank. Used to be house with a few others; a Clarkii pair and a sandperch. I didn't have aggression issues, but I might now with new additions since he's had the tank to himself for over a year. He's going on three now, I think.

When I did my research before buying the argi, all my reading indicated that they were the least likely to bother corals, generally less likely to do so than, say, the Flame or Coral Beauty.

Good fish. Best of luck.

Slakker
06/26/2008, 09:56 AM
Good to hear it guys. Hopefully he's still there and healthy when I stop in tonight after work.

I haven't yet had a chance to set up the QT, so maybe I'll have them hold him over the weekend for me if possible.

Slakker
06/27/2008, 08:49 AM
Anyone got any insight as to what the best foods for these guys are? I want to pick up a good variety for him while I get him tonight.

fambrough
06/27/2008, 09:08 AM
You'll want to feed one of the frozen blends or recipes that contain algae or seaweed (or green vegetable) at least part of the time.

I feed New Life SPECTRUM Marine Formula pellets daily. And supplement with Emerald Entree, a frozen food, once a week.