PDA

View Full Version : Reg Ball Valve vs. True Union Ball Valve

cpeisher
06/25/2008, 08:42 AM
What is the advantage in using true union over regular ball valves in plumbing? What is the cost difference between the two for a given size? Like if a reg ball valve costs $1 (purely for example) what would a true union cost?

ChuckLawson
06/25/2008, 09:37 AM
The advantage of a union ball valve is that it has a union at both ends so that you can remove it and clean it -- being a true union means that you can unscrew it and remove it from rigid plumbing without having to bend or flex anything.

Depending on what you're plumbing (a sump return line, for instance), you can often kill two birds with one stone, and have it do double-duty as a ball valve plus a convenient place to disconnect the plumbing for service. This also usually saves on space (vs. a ball valve plus a union or two) when working in tight spaces.

At the local big-box home improvement stores here, true union ball valves usually run $5 - $10 more than plain ball valves, depending on size. Worth every nickel the first time you need to remove it, usually.

cpeisher
06/25/2008, 09:48 AM
I didn't realize that "union" meant that it was quick disconnect. Thanks. That helps.

ReefEnabler
06/25/2008, 01:00 PM
the same thing can be accomplished by using separate valves and unions. true union ball valves will take up much less room though, so they are very very useful. I think I have over 20 true union ball valves on my system.

nyvp
06/25/2008, 02:55 PM
I only uses true unions. I love the ones from lowes. Use one in front and behind pumps and anything you may need to take off later. they cost for 1 1/2 about 15 vs 7 or $8 well worth the added costs.