PDA

View Full Version : 55g Drain Plumbing - Silent and Failsafe

cpeisher
06/25/2008, 09:01 AM
I have been trying to post this as a reply to this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1310585&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

But the server keeps saying that the search engine is busy and it won't let me post it there. It could probably be a new topic anyway.

I'm planning on using the Dead Silent Failsafe Overflow proposed in the above thread (giving full credit to the egyptians, herbie et al. who contributed to the design through the ages) on a 55g tank that i'll have to drill and also add on an overflow box.

I plan on getting most of the "flow" in the tank from powerheads, so i'm assuming that i'll need a relatively small flow rate through the sump. I had read somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 gph.

It would seem to me that with such a low flow rate i would not need to spend the extra money for 1.5 pipe and fittings.

Bean you stated in your thread on this that 1" would be ok but that it "may" not be as silent as 1.5" Is there anyone actually using the three standpipe system described in the thread above with 1" Pipe? If so, is it dead silent?