PDA

View Full Version : Algae issues, what to do?

jayare
06/25/2008, 10:35 AM
What's the best way to clean up a stringy looking green algae? It's not hair algae, not as clumpy, but it's a real pain to clean off. Looks like short strands of green string. Any ideas on what would eat this?

Thanks

cdcq12
06/25/2008, 11:56 AM
Snails? Usually does the trick for me.

FlyinggFish
06/25/2008, 01:09 PM
cdcq is right...snails!

FlyinggFish
06/25/2008, 01:10 PM
Also check your phosphates.

jayare
06/25/2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've got snails, they don't seem to touch it, maybe I'm using the wrong ones. Zero phosphates, even though I know that makes no sense because otherwise the algae wouldn't grow. I'm running a fuge thriving with chaeto and an octopus recirculating skimmer that does a fantastic job. No algae problems on any live rock, just coral frag plugs.

Slakker
06/25/2008, 02:27 PM
Frag plugs are probably leeching phosphates.

snorvich
06/25/2008, 02:32 PM
algae = nitrates what is your nitrate reading? How are you measuring phosphates?

jayare
06/25/2008, 02:39 PM
Nitrates test at nearly untraceable. I measure phosphates with a Salifert kit.

That's a good point about plugs leeching phosphates. What can I do to ensure new plugs don't do the same?

cdcq12
06/25/2008, 02:54 PM
Well sometimes I let my plugs sit in the back of my toilet. The constant water changes will take any of the excess "bad stuff" out and that might do the trick. It basically "cures" the plugs. I don't have problems with algae on plugs so maybe that's the trick. And thanks FylinggFish.

Laddy
06/25/2008, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't worry about your frag plugs, but rather concentrate on getting back to basics. You have phosphates, thats a given. Address that first. Same freshwater source you've been using prior to the outbreak? Are your lights old/new? Change water conditions (i.e. add/remove power heads) which may effect o2/co2 at the water line? Are you keeping up on your water changes?

Everytime I have something happen out of the ordinary in my tanks, it's usually my direct actions which have cause it.

cdcq12
06/25/2008, 10:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12821011#post12821011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Laddy
I wouldn't worry about your frag plugs, but rather concentrate on getting back to basics. You have phosphates, thats a given. Address that first. Same freshwater source you've been using prior to the outbreak? Are your lights old/new? Change water conditions (i.e. add/remove power heads) which may effect o2/co2 at the water line? Are you keeping up on your water changes?

Everytime I have something happen out of the ordinary in my tanks, it's usually my direct actions which have cause it.

Ah, excellent point, however I do believe that it was stated that the algae was growing on the plugs. Is there a reason where phosphate levels would cause the algae to only grow on the plugs? Seems kinda fishy, but maybe I'm wrong. The phosphate tests also came up negative, which, granted they could be wrong, should mean that there are no phospates in the tank. Idk, but yes, where you get your water from is also an issue, I won't argue with that. I used to use tap water and would always have an issue with algae. Then I started to use RO/DI and it is SOO much better.

jayare
06/26/2008, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the advice. I only use RODI water. Like I said, the fact that it's no where on any live rock is kind of odd. Just the frags.