PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a T5 Setup for my 30g

joem1cha3l
06/25/2008, 12:40 PM
Looking to host LPS SPS Mushroom coral guys. Thanks! Tank is about 18" deep

Capt_Cully
06/25/2008, 01:13 PM
2 foot 4x 24 watt. Couple actinic variations and a 10K bulb. The differences between T 5 fixtures is generally the quality of the reflectors and the bulbs you use. Some overdrive them with stronger ballasts, but that can decrease efficiency and burn out bulbs sooner. For a 30 gal. I think you'd be fine with standard ballast. I personally recommend a Tek light and geismann bulbs. There's worse out there, and there's also better. But I think the Tek fixture will get you where you wanna go for the right price.

Good luck!

LJA
06/25/2008, 01:22 PM
I use the Current USA Sundial 4x24 T5 on my 29G, easy to use and works the way it should.

IslandCrow
06/25/2008, 01:31 PM
Good suggestion by Capt_Cully. I have a Tek fixture for my 46g, and it's a very good, reliable unit. A step up from that would be an Aquactinics. The Current USA is a step down, but I believe they're starting to make them with individual reflectors, so as long as you get one of those, that should be fine.

The individual reflectors for each bulb are key. Without that, T-5s are no better than PCs (except perhaps for bulb color selection) and not as good as VHOs.

This thread has grown into a monster, but if you have a good chunk of free time (I'd spread it out over several days), there's some really good info about T-5s. It's also a good place to post any questions you may have:

The thread has been split many, many times, but here's as far back as I could find: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=741281&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

And here's the most recent stuff (which is a lot): http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1384575

svynx
06/25/2008, 01:33 PM
I picked up a Nova Extreme Pro for my 55. 6 bulbs. Works great.

Phong33
06/25/2008, 05:48 PM
I also recommend the tek fixture. If possible, go with the retro.