PDA

View Full Version : Oh man, do I have some eq questions...

Kiel'thalin
06/26/2008, 09:31 AM
1st, here is my list of a current buy I am putting together:

Perfecto 55 Gallon w/1 Corner-Flo - Black 48"x13"x20”
$134.99

Top Off:
Tunze 3155.000 Osmolator
$195.59

Lighting:
T-5 Tek Light 48" (4 bulb)
$281.95

RO/DI System:
Purely H2O Optima Vision
$188.96

Filtration:
MSX 160 Protein Skimmer
$309.99

Heater:
200 watt Won Brothers Pro Heat IC Titanium
$27.99

Misc:
Marine Depot Refractometer
$39.99
Reef Crystals Salt Mix
$31.99

Calcium Reactor Setup:
KORALLIN C-1502
$599.98
RF Deluxe CO2 Regulator w/ Solenoid
$144.95
(Premium Aquatics)
Korallin Lid with pH Probe Port
$59.99
Pinpoint pH Monitor Package
$94.99
KORALlith CaCO3 Media
$26.99

Water Flow:
?
Total: $1,211.45 without reactor
Reactor Cost: $926.90

Kiel'thalin
06/26/2008, 09:36 AM
And now for my Questions:

1. The RO Unit. I live on a well and my Water Pressure Ranges from 30-45 PSI. Will the unit Have problems making water?

2. Calcium Reactor. Is there an alternative way that is proven to setup a calcium regiment? I found that a Reactor setup is proven a bit pricey.

3. Water Flow. Any ideas there, I know the overflow on this size tank takes up all but 1-2" on the side, so a powerhead on the left side is out of the question. I want to do a closed loop setup, but afraid of the noise it will make. The tank is going to sit in a living room.

Thank you for the replies in advance. I am sure I will have more questions soon...

nauticac4
06/26/2008, 11:50 AM
Let me take a shot at this.

The RO unit will just produce slowly. Most will operate efficently around 60-75 max psi. They make RO pressure pumps to help in areas with low pressure. Up to you on the rate at which you need to make water. Take a look at air water ice.com their Typhoon units are cheaper than the one you have listed there are 5 stage units and make 75 GPD. The tunze osimolator is nice but pricey, I am using a unit from reef fanatic which new is like 90 bucks. I have been using it for a year and I love it.

2. You can drip lime water or go with a homemade or bulk two part at least for the first bit till you really get established and going. I use a 2 part solution from bulk reef supply. has been fairly inexpensive. I have only been using it for 2 months but so far so good. You can add dosing pumps to automate for WAAAYYYYY less than 926 bucks.

3. Take a look at 75 gallon aquariums. I have always been told to go as big as you can afford. Well a 55 to 75 isn't a huge jump in price but the space will be worth it.
I used an OM 4way with Reeflo Dart it is dead silent. so if sound is a concern it shouldn't be there are solutions out there that are quiet. Om makes a squirt similar to the 4 way that could be used and you could pair it with a reeflo snapper pump. Flow is going to depend on what you want to house so kind of hard to speak too. Korallia (sp?) power head are small end efficeint which you may want to look into. They have great diffused flow unlike traditional power heads.

calkulon
06/26/2008, 12:32 PM
Nauticac4's advice is sound. Also, a 13" front to back tank is severly limiting for rock aquascaping. From your equipment list it looks like you are going with sps corals, even more reason for a wider tank.
Sump ?

jdieck
06/26/2008, 12:47 PM
Only two coments to add:
a) Are you including a sump? I did not see it in the setup listand it will give you lots of advantages.
b) Rather than recommend a lighting try first researching the lighting requirements of the species you will keep and try to match the lighting to the critters. some SPS, clams and such may need more than the 4 T-5

Kiel'thalin
06/26/2008, 01:20 PM
Interesting, I added the following as possibilities:
Reef Fanatic Top off
LiterMeterIII Dosing Pump
Oceans Motion 4 way /w reeflo dart
and a Larger 75g-110g with single overflow (trying to stay at or under 18" width)

On the 4-way, how long does the water flow from each port before changing sequence?

Oh, you are right on the SPS, I will be adding a sump. The lighting is an issue for me, I did have a Aquactinics T-5 fixture on my last tank, so I might need to beef up that department...

Edit: With the Tek Light, it is about the only thing I could find that would fit over a 13" wide tank that came in a fixture.