PDA

View Full Version : flow dilemna - cant decide

ljosh
06/26/2008, 11:38 AM
What is better moderate flow w/ sand in the display or maximum flow and BB with a remote DSB?

Ricunger
06/26/2008, 12:07 PM
Depends what you house in the tank. Let me know what you plan on keeping.

ljosh
06/26/2008, 12:33 PM
I have not really decided what corals I want to keep. I dont have much first hand experience with them. I would like to keep clams and mixed corals types I guess if possible.

kau_cinta_ku
06/26/2008, 01:09 PM
both will work just fine, all depends on if you like the sand look or not. main thing will be is to not stack your rocks to close together, leave spaces in between them to help with flow.

ljosh
06/26/2008, 02:34 PM
I do like the look of the sand but I have to turn the power heads to about 50% max in order to keep the sand from clouding the tank. I can not make a decision on this whole SSB BB DSB thing. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. I started with a DSB now I am down to SSB with bare spots.

Will too much flow be detrimental to some corals? I have my pumps on a controller so I can go anywhere between 20x and 100x flow.

shuguley
06/26/2008, 03:03 PM
tried to delete, posted to wrong thread.

I wish we could delete our own posts

moo0o
06/26/2008, 03:23 PM
i like maxium flow with BB and remote sandbed. but if you are planning on keeping LPS and all that too, try going...small sandbed for asthetic reasons..maybe an inch or two thick? and a remote DSB. that way you have the ability to turn up the flow and you wont get a nasty sandstorm. but in a 10g..i do not know..

REEF-n-Chicago
06/26/2008, 03:54 PM
Personal preference, based on what your keeping and the look you like. You can get great flow even with sand. Just not crazy flow :)
Take the time to decide what you want in your tank and what look you like and then make the decision. Really is worth the time....

Playa-1
06/26/2008, 07:44 PM
It all depends on what your going to keep and your personal preference. It's not a one size fits all program :)

Bambalam
06/26/2008, 08:17 PM
I think you can have strong flow with a sandbed - just position your powerheads in a way that causes water turbulence, but not a whirlpool. JMO