PDA

View Full Version : pH Problems..plz help

SWaquariast
06/26/2008, 12:24 PM
From so much rain were I live has caused are sand point well's pH to drop to 7.4 and is now causing my reef's pH to drop. I have been adding Marine pH Buffer. I have been dosing now for 3-4 days. Further down at the bottom of the bottle it said that it will raise my alkilinity. But if pH is low isn't alkilinity low. So my LFS that I bought the buffer from said to buy alkilinty buffer. But the buffer is to raise alkilinity, but the pH buffer said its doing that anyway.
Sorry if I'm not making sense.
Please tell me a way to raise my pH safely with the buffer I bought.

I am buying the alkilinity test kit saturday along with the alkilinity buffer.

jansenwrasse
06/26/2008, 07:16 PM
First how are you testing your pH?

If you are having low pH issues then it is most likely caused by high indoor CO2, but if you are using strait well water then there could be other issues. If this is the case I would recommend you get some distilled from the local walmart, walgreens, CVS, or what ever. If there is a LFS near by ask if they sell RO/DI.

pH buffers will effect alkalinity levels and most likely vice versa. Make sure that the buffer is for Reef aquaria and not Marine aquaria (seachem). The use different elements to change pH and It could effect alkalinity readings in a bad way (some chemicals will interfere with readings).

Take a cup of tank water and put and air stone in it with a pump and aerate it to see if the pH goes up. From there you should oxygenate the tank as best as possible with out harming corals or fish (gas bubble disease).

Good Luck!