PDA

View Full Version : Adding additional holes to DIY surface skimmer box (for hang on skimmer)

jcm1229
06/26/2008, 12:55 PM
I had a friend make me and overflow box that I can can put the input tube of my hang-on skimmer into. The teeth he made are somewhat narrow so I'm not sure there will be enough water fall to keep up with the pump input. In addition, I'd like to safegard against the water level falling and the pump running dry.

I'd like to drill a couple of holes into the box several inches (6-8) below the water level, but I don't want to overdo it so that I don't get any surface skimming.

Anyone out there that can give me advice on this?

Thanks!

The0wn4g3
06/26/2008, 05:16 PM
I knew a guy that drilled his Excalibur overflow box with pretty poor results...I can definiteively say why, but it seemed to reduce the performance of the skimmer. Probably like you said, less surface skimming. That being said, I would drill it as a last resort. I'd run it for a few days and if the water flow is too slow, then drill some small holes on the bottom.
Less holes is best.
Or, you could cut out every other "tooth" and get much more water flow, but that's somewhat more involved.