PDA

View Full Version : simple kalk doser

Kung
06/26/2008, 02:04 PM
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/jug7.jpg

Would a jug like this, with a simple valve to keep it dripping, work for a low tech kalk doser? Any huge drawbacks that anyone can forsee?

coralfragger101
06/26/2008, 05:03 PM
It will work. Kent makes a dosing jug similar to that and it comes with the drip tubing as well. It basically uses tubing you see in a hospital hooked up to IV units.

kgross
06/26/2008, 05:22 PM
You can get the IV tubing yourself and mount it to just about any jug. I used to get the 2.5 gallon water bottles from the store, silicone in the IV tubing into the outlet and use them for kalk justs. Works great until the jug wears out.

Kim

Kung
06/26/2008, 07:13 PM
Groovey, guys, thanks. I just came to the realization that kalk is the way to go, and soon, so it's nice to be able to pull it off without major issues.

grewbek
06/27/2008, 07:34 AM
I just use a gallon jug with the lid on. drill a hole in the lid just slightly smaller than airline tubing and force the airline tubing into the lid. I made sure the tubing goes all the way to the bottom of the jug, then attached it to a piece of rigid tubing (a little heavier and always points down as opposed the the flexible kind that sometimes points where you don't want it to). you can put a very small piece of flexible tubing on the end of the rigid tubing, then an airline valve. drill another small hole in the cap and fill your jug. Then place one thumb over the small hole inthe cap, and gently squeeze your jug. That starts the flow without sucking on the end of your line, and you can adjust the drip rate with the valve. There is a link here somewhere that shows what this looks like. I'll try to find it post it or take pics of mine and post them.

grewbek
06/27/2008, 07:35 AM
read that last post and tell me how confusing that sounds? the link and/or pics will help

hebygb
06/27/2008, 09:31 AM
The only proble I see is more of a maintence problem... airlines used for kalk delivery, especially when governed by a valve tend to gunk up ... Doesnt take long, maybe a couple of months. Just requires regular cleaning, or hose replacment.... Also there is always the issue of what if it flows too much kalk in. FWIW

fivesmallworlds
06/27/2008, 09:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12832228#post12832228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grewbek
read that last post and tell me how confusing that sounds? the link and/or pics will help

Makes complete sense to me, I can visualize it. I can't say if it will or won't work as I have no experience running Kalk however.

Seems simple enough but the gunk up problem may get tedious after a while.

OAD
06/27/2008, 10:04 AM
I use this setup with great success:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e55/chocolateblnt2/UniversalTopOffDoserwithRO.jpg

grewbek
06/27/2008, 11:11 PM
I've been using mine for almost a year and a half, and yes the little micro valve has gunked up a little bit, but it just means I turn it open slightly more. It really hasn't been much of a problem to tell the truth. When it does get completely clogged, it will probably on cost about $0.25 or so to replace. I was traveling today but will take a pic this weekend and post it.

On another note, OAD, thank you for your service!